Sunday, December 11, 2016

Snowscene.

It is the last christmas card makes of the year for the Christmas Card Club and Rita has chosen the theme of Winter Scene.
A quick look through my used christmas card fronts and I found this scene. I have had the card for some time as it is quite an old fashioned card that I remember recieving years ago and kept because I liked the picture. I had a die cut stitched frame (by Crafts-Too) on my desk from another project and the two looked like they would work together well.

I moved the window frame around till I got the part of the card that looked best in it and then trimmed the card down to fit. I used acetate to cover the inside of the frame before attaching to the card. Base is a gold pre made card that I changed into a fixed tent card by folding a 1" crease along the bottom front and back and then a further 1/2" crease on one fold to glue the tent together. It folds nice and flat for posting but does stop the card from sliding open and stands up nicely for display purposes. Stars, gold sentiment and gold trim from my stash and card was done.  I'm a bit pressed for time here so cards have had to be quick and easy ones. I'm being run ragged here with not 1 but 2 Pesky Elves this year.


Appendix       
I have since found out quite a bit about the painter of this scene. Thanks to my blogging friend Jenny who pointed me in the right direction. I have spent the afternoon on the web and have found out that
the painter is Joseph Farguharson (1846 - 1935) and was famous for his snow scenes. He owned a large amount of land and spent his days  painting the scenery all around. He had a mobile studio that was horse drawn so that he could park on the land and do his painting in the comfort of being inside.
He also had  a friend who  made replicas of the sheep so he could place them in the scene he wanted to paint. 
This particular painting is called 'When the West with Evening Glows.'



Second card I used the inside part of the frame from my desk and created a little scene using a blue ink pad, dauber and torn paper to make the hills and snow dunes. I used stamps from the Hobby Art Stamp set called  'Winter Scene'.  My  lovely blogging friend Kim found she had two sets of these and kindly gave one of them to me . Thanks Kim. I used Stickles 'Diamond' on the trees, fence and snowline which shows up really well. I had to wait till this morning to take a good photo of it and then the internet went down and I had no way of getting the piccy onto this blog post. (If it's not one thing it's another). Lastly the sentiment was created in word and was one I already had made up in my stash.  I layered the frame onto dark blue pearlised card stock and raised up on 3d pads.  Silver stars on the scene and larger stars on the card from my stash.

Quickly linking up  this card only to the following challenges before I loose the internet again and/or the plot!

Crafty Hazelnut's Extra # Anything goes Christmas
A Snowflakes Promise #34 Winter Theme.
Winter Wonderland# Frame It or night Scene.
Crafty Purple Frog # 2 Winter blues.
Crafts & Me # Cool winter.
Digi Stamps 4 Joy #131 Anything goes + make it sparkle.
Love to Craft #5 Anything goes.
Pattie's Creations #129 Anything goes related to christmas or winter.
Double 'D' Challenges # Dreaming of a white christmas.
Mod Squad Challenge # Trees & snow.
C.R.A.F.T Challenge #393 Winter.



36 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Two very beautiful cards Valery, I love the traditional first card, reminds me of cards received years ago.

Gorgeous colours on your second card, both beautifully designed, Kate x

Juliz Design Post said...

Super upcycling and lovely festive scenes on both cards. I think it's the only time of the year we would love to see some of the magical white stuff.
Have a great week.
Julie x

scrappymo! said...

Two wonderful cards. The first is such a great upcycled card. Always love to put great scenes back into use!

The second is such a beautiful hand stamped scene. i really like this one!

Margo said...

They are lovely !

Kath said...

Fabulous upcycling and lovely cards. I've just made and written my last Christmas cards today, so next week can start blogging again!
Kath x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two fantastic cards Valery, I love the upcycled one and also the stamped one too.

Sue xx

Veerle said...

Two beautiful cards I particularly like the second one.
Hugs Veerle x

Carol said...

Two great cards Mrs A...I can remember getting one of those cards too several years ago!
The magazine is Papercraft Essentials issue 140...not sure what's in the mag, I tend to buy just for the freebie!
I always add the insert when I make the card and pair them up with an envelope then all I have to do is write the card and stick the address label on...making all the inserts in one go used to sicken me :( Carol x

dutchess said...

Two fabulous cards Valery...the queen of up cycling again ...so satisfying.I have just got my internet back honestly how many hours have I spent .....loosing the will to keep going with all the re booting still working now ....xxxx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Great change for the recycled snowscene and sweet blue card, love both them, and expecially your inking on the second one with the torn paper! I have to remember this technique, it's really striking!

Donna said...

This is gorgeous and fits the challenge card beautifully Mrs. A.

MaryH said...

Both are frosty & lovely snow scenes. Especially love the peaceful 'feel' of each of these. Clever recycling, (as usual).. and on #2, that's some wonderful sponging effects. The ice on the snow & trees shows beautifully too! Hope the Elves don't cause too much havoc! So cute. TFS & Hugs

AlisonC said...

Keep smiling, though the internet problems sound very trying. Not to mention the elves. Your inked card is very well done and the sheep are beautifully wintry.

Kathleen said...

Two great up-cycled cards and a great quick and easy makes.

Kath x

rachel said...

wonderful cards Valery - great upcycling - good luck with those elves!!! Hugs rachel x

Gibmiss said...

Hi Valery
Fabulous cards... Great use of old cards...
Hugs Sylvie xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

You are certainly the Queen of recycling Valerie, two lovely cards.
Lorraine

Barbara said...

Very nice job on recycling the first card. I love the second card and it rocked my challenge of trees and snow. Thank for joining us at the Mod Squad Challenge this week. Merry Christmas and good luck.
Barbra, Mod Squad Challenge host.

Greta said...

These are beautiful! Love the recycling--I need to do that!

Christine Harrop said...

Two lovely scenic cards Mrs A. I always wait to see what you have recycled on each CCC post. Hugs Christine xx

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING CARD for our White Christmas at Double D Challenges, hope we see you again.xx Double D Challenges{DT aNNie}

Pen Sunshinepen said...

Lovely cards Mrs A. Great way to recycle. With my DT hat on thank you for playing along at LTCCB xx

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Mrs A these are two beautiful Winter Wonderland scenes love them both
hugs
lorraine x

Jenny L said...

Hi MrsA,
your first cards are very lovely and the sceenes look very much like prints I have by Joseph Farquharson.
The third is such a very lovely scene you have created.
Such a very lot of wonderful work in that one.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Brenda in IN said...

Both of these are so pretty. I love the scenes and how wonderful you were able to learn about the painter. That makes is really special. The frame is lovely too.

Sandra H said...

Both of your cards Mrs A are lovely l love the scenes almost life like sending lots of love x

Kathy Krug said...

Beautiful design. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Double D. We hope to see more of your creations.
Kathy
DT DD Challenge Blog

Sheryl said...

Great upcycling! You have created two beautiful traditional cards.
Good to have you with us at CRAFT this week.
Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

Darlene said...

Both are just AWESOME Mrs. A.!! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Dreaming of a White Christmas’ challenge! We hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Beautiful creation, love the sparkly trees

Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Purple Frog, good luck in the draw!
Hugs Shell xx

Cindy said...

Very pretty cards. Thanks for sharing with us at Winter Wonderland.

Amelia Breytenbach said...

Beautiful card, gorgeous image and design! Thanks for sharing with us at Double "D" Challenge
Amelia (DT Double "D" Challenges)

Anonymous said...

Stunning, thanks for playing at Pattie's challenge DT Lisa

Jennifer Scull said...

what wonderful projects filled with so much love and holiday joy!

thank you so much for joining our challenge over at The Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge Blog Extra!🙂

Irena Stefanova said...

Really nice love the scenes you have here. Thank you and good luck in the challenge over at LTCCB!
Irena

Crafty Amy said...

What beautiful images and I love how you have added the peel offs to them.
Thank you for joining us at the Crafty purple frog challenge.

Huge hugs

Amy xx