Friday, March 15, 2013

Birthday Suprises.

It's Fluff's Birthday today  and I made her a couple of suprises which she received in the post today so it is safe to show one of  them.
I did a covered note book swap a while back and  whilst the original was a fabric one with applique I have chosen to make this one using  mixed media  and paper piecing instead.

As the note book has a spiral edge I could not make a cover for the whole of the front and back so made up panels instead. (Thick card cut to size and covered in a floral paper which was sent to me by a blogging friend in USA so do not know the make). Fluff loves yellow and mauve so I used those  as the main colours. I made up a smaller panel for the front in the same way and used a plain yellow backing paper which came as a freebie in a magazine. The lace is from her Nan's unmentionables, ribbon and other papers from my stash. The butterflies were cut from small snippets of cardstock using a tonic punch. Sunbonet Sue came from 'The Ultimate Sunbonnet Sue Collection' of quilt block patterns which I cut smaller to fit the panel.
Here is the back showing the panel of pretty floral paper which I left plain. I distressed around the edges on all the panels using distress ink and a handy little gadget for doing the job.
 
Entering into the following challenges:
 
Tuesday Throwdown: Paper Piecing.
LEJ Designs: Things with Wings.
Crafts and Me Challenges : Ribbons and Lace.
One Stitch at a Time: Anything goes.
Pixie'sCrafty Workshop : Use your snippets.
Pin and Tack: Anything goes.
 
 
 
 
 



14 comments:

Vee Cassidy said...

I love the altered notebook design and don't mention the unmentionables! I have some similar books waiting for attention! Thank you for joining us at LEJ Designs and good luck in the challenge. Vee xx

Margaret said...

Cute little sunbonnet girl. It reminds me of the quilts my mother used to make when I was a kid. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown for this challenge.
Margaret, DT

Faye said...

I did wonder whose knickers were adorning my gorgeous notebook! Thank you, I love it. xx

Margreet said...

Gorgeous Mrs A...Faye must be very glad with this beautiful notebook...love the lace....greetings from a sunny Switzerland.
XXX Margreet

Di said...

Gorgeous notebook Mrs A - trust you to use unmentionables! I see that Fluff doesn't mince words and came straight out with knickers :))

Hugs, Di xx

Unknown said...

Gorgeous creation, so nice to be able to receive something like this, sweet.xx

KimCreate said...

Nice paper piecing on the sweet bonnet girl. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown!
Kim L. DT

Mrs O crafty blog said...

What a pretty card, thank you for joining us at LEJ, Pauline x

Made by Mandy said...

I did giggle at lace from unmentionables :) This is a lovely notebook, very pretty with the lace and ribbon and a nice colour scheme.

Many thanks for joining in with our 'Anything Goes' challenge over at OSAAT & hope to see you back again soon.

Mandy (DT member for OSAAT)

Faye said...

What's wrong with knickers?! x

Lisa Jane said...

what a gorgeous spring card - Thanks for joining us at LCI
Lisa x

Sherry said...

That's so pretty (even with the unmentionables) love the colour combination and I bet the birthday girl loved it too xx

Vicky said...

This is so pretty.

Thank you for joining us at Crafts & Me Challenges, hope you will join us again hun.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work