The runner had a large tear in it and also some black marker pen on it. After I had carefully washed it I also found that it had a few brown stains as well. I was already beginning to get an idea of what I wanted to make so time for a nice cup of tea,( not to drink ) but to dye the runner a nice cream colour to hide the stains. It actually took two pots of tea to get the colour I wanted!
Next job was to start cutting. The tear was near one end but gave me just enough to cut a useable piece from the bottom to include the flower pattern. I cut an identical piece from the other end and joined the two together to make a square. I had a piece of old ribbon lace that I dyed at the same time and used this across the middle of the square and threaded with burgandy ribbon. This then left me with middle of the runer which had the black marks on it but I used the same ribbon and managed to hide the marks by stitching to the panel. I then made this into a fat tube. A remnant of cream silk from ebay for 50p and this is the result. Two new scatter cushions for the bedroom which is cream and burgandy.
Here they are in situ. This left me with a tiny sliver of the original table runner which I had started using to mark a page in a book that I had for my birthday (Handmade Gifts in the Japanese Tradition . This is a tiny clue for Jo and Margreet).