Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Herringbone

We are at the start of another  butterfly challenge and this time we are on the letter H. 


These  colours are well out of my comfort zone but  I have tried to show them off to avantage in my inspiration cards for you.  The colours do all exist on the spectrum wheel.  Whilst researching for this style of card I came across several more  unusual ways of making the herringbone and have included these in the tutorial page over on the Butterfly blog.  I will show  more variations  next week. 

First card is showing  Version I. which I am calling the Classic  Herringbone Card Design.
Using the following from the wheel.
Herringbone Card/Hemp/Heat Wave/Hansa Yellow/Hazel/Butterfly

3 of the design papers used are from a paper pad from Hero Arts called Serenade and purely by chance the butterfly is also digi image  by them in their  Winged Friends collection  'Colias Cesonia'. DK032. I have used hemp string to make the attena.

I have used strips of paper cut  very thinly ( approx one eighth inch or 4mm). The sentiment is by Julie Hickey.  Hazel and Orange design paper for the base card from my stash. 

Second card is showing  Version II. which I am calling  3 Bar Herringbone.
Using the following from the wheel.
Herringbone Card/Hemp//Hansa Yellow//Butterfly

Now you do not have to use all the colours on your card and can add in other splashes of colour to compliment. Here I have just used the Hansa Yellow (Sand) and brightened with turquoise and greens. The papers are all from My Minds Eye pads  'Indie Chic NutMeg ' and 'Now and Then'.  The hemp butterflies are from my stash along with the string. Sentiment is by Julie Hickey.


Third card is showing  Version III. which I am calling  Quilters Herringbone.
Using the following from the wheel.
Herringbone Card/Hemp//Hansa Yellow//Butterfly
I have used a paper pad from Dovecraft called 'Nature'a Grace. which has delicate purple itsy butterflies on it. This uses small squares of paper cut in half to form the design.  Base card is made from yellow cardstock and the sentiment is by Julie Hickey. 


Hope I have inspired you to play along . Thankyou to everyone who played in the last challenge. You inspire me to keep going.

Stay Safe.
Even with the vaccine imminent
we are not out of the woods yet. 

Hugs


10 comments:

Freubelmina said...

A very nice new challenge Mrs A.
Your inspiration cards are great.
I've already made a start, I'm going to enjoy myself!
Kind regards, Wilma xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A your cards are gorgeous. What a great way to use up scraps. Wise words about the vaccine. Take care. Hugs Jackie

brenda said...

Love your creation and as I said over at the challenge blog the colour palette this time really appeals. I have a post it with all the elements stuck to my computer so now all I have to do is actually made something!

B x

Diane said...

Greetings Valery Anne, love the colors and designs. What a fun challenge.

Hugs Diane

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Very elegant cards, and love the big butterfly with string for antennas!

aussie aNNie said...

Super card, awesome colours and image..x

Mac Mable said...

The herringbone techniques look so striking and all three cards look amazing Mrs A. x.

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

You've put the herringbone and butterflies to good use in all these cards. Fun to see you using colours outside your comfort zone too x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Looking good! I will plan to play along again! I've been wanting to try the herringbone design for a while so this will be my push to try it! Thank you for always inspiring! Really enjoyed that gap card!

Brenda in IN said...

These cards made with strips and squares of paper are gorgeous. Your designs are beautifully done and the details of putting the papers together is great.