Sunday, March 05, 2017

Off The Wall

Time once more  for the girls in the Christmas Card Club to show our  next cards. Zoe has set the theme this time and it was quite a brief.  Zoe wanted  to see Off The Wall. i.e. non traditional, a little whacky, unusual colours. OK then. A quick rootle through my used christmas card stash turned up a couple that I thought would work well.
Here is the first one. I have had this in my stash for years and years. Not because I thought I would ever actually use it but the colours and design were so bold I rather liked it in a odd kind of way.


I trimmed the front down very slightly to fit within the die cut frame which  I cut from white 300gsm watercolour card. Base card is from purple cardstock which matched the birds plumage perfectly. There is a sheet of acetate between the frame and the image but I have managed to take the photo without any reflection showing. Don't ask me how as I had bright spotlights beaming down from the ceiling right above at the time! The frame is a die cut by Crafts -Too  'Rectangle Stitch Hole  ' my favourite go to at the moment. The sentiment is  a die cut by Creative Expressions.  I had it just  in white to start with but it looked lost against the white frame work so I cut another in the purple card  and attached it slightly to the side to create a shadow effect and suddenly the card all came together.

My second card uses  another card front that I have simply trimmed down and attached to purple card stock. 
 I attached acetate that has a pattern of stars on it over the top and held it on with matching purple brads in each corner. The whole image was then adhered with sticky 3d pads (to add dimension) to a card base made from  cream leather effect card stock.

Hope these are both unusual enough for you Zoe.


26 comments:

Christine Harrop said...

Oh wow, that bird is fabulous! Colours are terrific. And i like the second one too. Simple but effective. Hugs Christine xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Such great ideas everyone is having on the 'off the wall' theme this week. I struggled I'm afraid and just plumped for non traditional colours.
I love both of these cards, very bright and cheery.
Lorraine

Zoe Tant said...

That bird is definitely 'off the wall' and the bright colours of the second are perfect too! Thanks for joining in Valery. Great cards. xx

Margreet said...

Wow, that bird has gorgeous colors! You re-used it wonderfully! The second card is colorful too...love it!
Have a great Sunday!
xxx Margreet

dutchess said...

What terrific colours Valery....and that fantastic image on the first card absolutely perfect for the challenge and more fabulous upcyling....xxxxx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I love your re-cycled card, especially the first one, that certainly meets your brief.

Sue xx

Di said...

Great cards - LOVE that bird and how you double layered the sentiment is such a great touch as well.

Hope all is well - Collall at the ready?

Hugs

Di xx

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous re-cycled cards love the bird too, gorgeous makes.xx[aNNie]

Mac Mable said...

Wow amazing first card, full of colour and yes unusual and fabulous! x

Brenda in IN said...

Now these are fun Christmas cards. I love the bird and the stitched frame around it. The starry acetate really adds some sparkle to the bright letters and the purple brads match the mat so well.

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A your Christmas cards are stunning and both quite different from each other. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

That gorgous image of the bird well deserved anoter chance to be shown!! Very well done, your card is just gorgous!!
The second one image looks great with the star on the acetate.
I think that both are very unusual!

Liz McGuire, said...

These are soooo cool, love them both x

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

wow!! gorgeous work...the bird is stunning :)

Glennis F said...

Great use of recycling, I love the results

Viv said...

You are the world's best recycler! Brilliant!

MaryH said...

I'll echo Viv's comment about you being a stellar recycler. And you always create a design with such color & flare. I'm loving this very 'Far East' bird (not sure if it is a peacock). The dramatic orange looks amazing with the purple and the way you've framed it out, just perfect. Also enjoyed the splendid festive colors on #2. Wonderful way to meet Zoe's challenge. TFS & Hugs

rachel said...

two great cards Valery - I love that first one especially - gorgeous colours! Hugs rachel x

cuilliesocks said...

Wow what marvellous recycling Valery, that bird is amazing what bold colours and your matted and layered it perfectly. I love the second one with the added acetate, Two wonderful cards, Kate x

Carol said...

Two wonderful makes Mrs A...do love that bird and you've done a great job upcycling it. Carol x

Tina Z. said...

wow, amazing card, I love that bird, it is stunning!
hugs xx

Kathleen said...

Two fabulous cards but the first one is stunning, such rich colours and backed with royal purple a tad Indianish.

Kath x

Gibmiss said...

Fabulous cardsValery...
hugs Sylvie x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, these look amazing, especially the bird! You have some fun cards in your stash - awesome recycling job!

Craftychris said...

The bird on the first one is absolutely fabulous! Love the alternate Christmas colours. This second one is really cool - love them both! xxx

scrappymo! said...

Two wonderful non traditional cards. You nailed the theme, Valerie.

Sorry I am so late getting round to comment. Will get round to both themes I missed and then hope to be back for the next fortnight.