Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Hydrangea with Contour Lines

I purchased a floral  painting book  last weekend  firstly because the title caught my attention 'Chinese Brush  Painted  Flowers' and secondly (being one of the last big spenders) it was reduced from £15 down to £3 so it really would have been so rude of me not to have done so. We were away from home at the time but a quick look through the book and I was itching to have a go at one of the flowers. There are 36  in total illustrated and how to paint them for all levels of artist from beginner up (a third reason for buying) and the artist is Joan Lok. There are 5 distinct styles in Chinese brush painting and Contour is one of them.
I had a little play Mon/Tue and this is the result which I have made up into a card as more inspiration for  #73 Butterflies +G is for Glossy Accents and/or the colour Slate Blue.  which still has 1 week left to run.

I don't have any chinese paints or the correct brushes so I used my Marvy Le Plume  water based pens instead and was pleased that my painting sort of resembled the picture in the book. I used a butterfly dimensions sticker by Anita's (a) because I needed a butterfly on the card and  (b) its hiding the awful mess I made underneath it! (Having spent 2 days painting it there was no way it was going in the bin.)

 The glossy accents element is the pink spotty candi that I gave a liberal coating to before adding to the card and which I managed to catch on camera. the inside of the card was finished with light and dark slate blue card stock and another Dimensions butterfly sticker.

Entering into the following challenges:
Crafting By Designs # Anything goes.
Crafty Creations #336 Anything goes.
Penny's Paper Crafty #318 Anything goes.
Brown Sugar #239 Anything goes.
Crafting With Friends #37 Anything goes.
Crafty Catz #359 Anything goes/thoughts of Spring.
Jo's Scrap Shack #177 Anything goes.


The winners of my 7yr Itch blog Candy are in the post below. Be sure to check it out. 




33 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A your card is stunning. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow! You have painted this hidrangea so well!! Before reading all, I have tought that this was a page of that book :) Really lovely! The butterfly makes the flower pops out and the tiny candies look great with the glossy accents! Beautiful card!

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous flower and fabulous painting.

Kath x

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow I'm loving your painted Hydrangea it's beautiful.
Julie x

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! Those card Candi look brilliant with glossy accents on!
Lucy x

Valerija said...

Wonderful card. Love the image and your fab colouring.
Valerija xx

Donna said...

Your card I absolutely gorgeous!

MaryH said...

Your Marvy pens look like they stood in extremely well for the special brushes. Love the look on the pretty hydrangea, and love the shading in the petals and especially on the leaves. Butterfly looks quite at home perched among the petals, and brilliant idea to add the G.Accents on the candi brads. Glad you found the book! TFS

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful colours and great stamp.x[aNNie]

Loll said...

Wow ... beautiful flower Anne! You are an ar-teest! xx

Jane Willis said...

Absolutely gorgeous - I thought it was stamped and painted when I saw the thumbnail in my blog feed. I'm amazed to see it was painted from scratch! What a great investment that book is
Jane

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This is gorgeous Valery, I can see why you bought the book. You have won my blog candy, if you would like to get in touch with you address I will get it sent to you.

Sue xx

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

Beautiful work :) loved it !!

Margreet said...

Beautiful!
xxx Margreet

Brenda in IN said...

Wow, you did a great job with this. I love that the butterfly does double duty and you were able to save the card. Using water friendly inks and water looks just as pretty as using paint and your card proves that.

scrappymo! said...

You are so talented! Your flower looks perfect to me. What a bargain you got with this wonderful book. Look forward to seeing the other flowers you paint.
If you ever decide to get the chinese brushes, let me know. Vancouver is about 45 minutes away from me and there is a huge Chinatown area with lots of shops. I know the name sounds politically incorrect, but that is the real name of the area. The street signs are in 'chinese and it is a unique area to shop, etc.

tilly said...

a super card for our challenge at crafty catz, hope to see you again
Tilly

Sandra H said...

Ooh wow Mrs A both cards are gorgeous l just love the smell of Hydrangea's l have the same colour out in my garden The glossy accents looks brilliant on your card candy and the 2nd card is just as lovely too! xx

Barb said...

Wow Mrs.A this really is beautiful. Your colouring is really lovely. Barbxx

rachel said...

this is so very beautiful Valery - love what you have done and good shopping!!

Diane said...

Wow, Valery you have created a gorgeous flower design.

Hugs Diane

Peanut said...

Lovely card, Valery. Your colouring is flawless. Thanks for stopping by my blog... I may have the blackest thumbs on the planet. Nothing decent grows in my garden except for weeds! :)
x Asha

Createology said...

I Love Hydrangeas, especially blue ones. Your book is a steal and to learn from it is Priceless. I LOVE your "painted" version and it looks amazing. Great Card Dear...<3

Loose Stitches said...

Your gorgeous flower made a wonderful card! I love how you colored the petals and the leaves!
Hugs, Sherry xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Mrs A,
what a very beautiful card and you have coloured that wonderful image so very perfectly too.
I love Hydrangeas, and their wonderful colours.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Di said...

Wonderful Mrs A!

Hugs

Di xx

Darnell said...

Your coloring is beautiful on this hydrangea, Anne! It looks just like the blue ones we used to have in the back yard. Your leaves are done especially well! Have fun with the other flowers in the book! (Yes, it would have been rude not to buy it!) Enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Darnell

KT Fit Kitty said...

So pretty! I love hydrangeas! The butterfly is the perfect touch! The inside is gorgeous too!

Karen Petitt said...

You have talent Mrs A! It is beautifully drawn and coloured, love it! I will have a look out for this book myself lol! I just purchased one of the books I wanted to learn drawing from because I found it on EBay for only £3, result! xx

Andree said...

A gorgeous card. Your hydrangea looks fabulous and is wonderfully painted. What a great bargain that book was xx

AlisonC said...

All very good reasons for buying the book! It looks very pretty and I'm sure you enjoyed painting it. Butterflies are always useful for covering mistakes but is does look as though it should be there.

Greta said...

Oh my word--this is beautiful, Mrs A! You're so talented!

Maria Valente said...

Gorgeous CAS card! Love the colouring! Thank you for joining us at Penny's Challenges.
Hugs, Mary (DT member)