The swap challenge for the Art 'n' Soul flickr group this month is to make a fan (using the template provided) with the theme of
" Inspired by France". I was determined not to go down the pink route so this is my interpretation. A Paris themed fan.
The use of the turquoise ribbon was not intended but the lace I had in mind for triming each blade with was just 2" short. The feathers were from my local fabric store at 10p each. A bargain I thought.
This is the fan folded up .
Opened out showing each blade. (We had to use a minimum of 6).
A closer view showing the blades in more detail. The paper I have used is from the Chatsworth Vintage Collection by Papermania. Before cutting out the blades I stamped over the sheet using a French phrases stamp by Tim Holtz and using distressed ink. I cut the blades from card (empty biscuit boxes) and glued the paper over the top. The edging is 3 threads of crochet cotton fed throught my sewing machine and bound with contrasting cotton using a close up zigzag stitch. Ribbon was then glued to the back of each one and then another matching blade attached over the top using fancy cardboard (from a supermarket cake box) to neaten. The flowers (cut from a strip) each had a glass bead sewn into the centre and then glued to the front as decoration.
The blades were assembled by threading a ribbon through a punched hole in the bases and then tied together. I attached an assortment of feathers. fringing , beads and a fabric flower to the front.
The blades were then attached at the top of the fan by ribbon glued across the back. When the fan is folded up the ribbon pleats nice and neatly between the blades. You can just see the butterfly stamped on the back.
I'm pretty chuffed at the finished result.
There is still time if you havn't already voted to choose which bag you would like to see me make for the March Altered Bag Challenge. So far the green bag has 3 votes, cream 5 and demin 5 so I need a clear winner.
You can cast your votes here. up until tonight 22.00 (GMT).