Thursday, January 25, 2024

Here we go again.

Having being really pleased with myself for using up all my white scraps into future useable embellishments I was in need of purchasing a new supply of white/cream cardstock for making up blank card bases. It duly arrived in a box way too too big and had been stuffed down the side  with not bubble wrap or those horrible  styrofoam bits that go every where but very long strips of white /yellow/ card stock and also white shimmer card stock in 1", .50" and .25"thickness.  Well what was I supposed to do but sit and chop it  into 6" usuable strips!!!! I did manage to use four strips straight away as I was painting a rose (when the parcel arrived) with distress inks and swiped the cardstock with the residue left on my nonstick sheet. 


Striking while the iron was hot so to speak I made two cards and very nearly used  up all of the yellow strips you can see above on the tray. 

I used a piece of scrap card and laid the yellow strips  diagonally across . It looked a bit plain so I then went back and  laid the thicker white shimmer  strips over the top.( Making it  similar to a floating strips card but with the yellow backing and not acetate.)  I have used up 2 of the frames previously die cut which are by Penny Black  'Antique Frame' The flower and sentiment are both freebies from a magazine coloured with my promarkers and a silver gel pen. Layered up onto a cream blank cardbase. Finished off inside with a few more of the strips. 
Entering above card into the following challenges:
Krafty Chicks #700  All occasions 
Girlz Creative Crafts #40 Everything is allowed.

I played around with the yellow strips making into a basket weave design and then swiped over the top with versamark  pad and then  heat embossed using  Gold Wow embossing powder.  The bird and sentiment is a  SU  stamp set called  A Happy Thing which I coloured using distress inks  and a paint brush to apply. Thought I had made quite a good job of a Blue Tit until hubby walked past and said ""Nice Kingfisher" so I guess it is back to the colouring board for me.!!  Card does sparkle IRL. 
Entering this card itno the following challenges: 
Double D Challenge #  Sparkle and shine.
Aud Sentiments #307 Make your own background plus your sentiment.
Love To Scrap #165 Anything goes.
Mix It Up #69 Anything goes /optional mixed media.



Keep Warm and Safe

29 comments:

Aquarius said...

What a brilliant bonus came along with your card order and great that you've made a start on using some of the pieces on cards straight away. It doesn't take much to spark up the Mojo does in 🤣🤣.

Freubelmina said...

You have been so busy ValeryAnne, 2 beautiful cards so different!
I'm in love with the kingfisher xx

coldwaters2 said...

How fantastic to have all those extra bits of card to use and what you have done with it on the above cards looks brilliant well done
hugs
lorraine x

Chris said...

Well done on using those bonus scraps of card to such great effect! Two creative and beautiful cards.
xx

Margreet said...

Great way of using up the bonus scraps. Love especially the second card with the darling bird. It happens that I have also made a card with leftover stripes, which will be on my blog tomorrow.
xxx Margreet

Suze said...

Wow. What a wonderful bonus.
I love the two cards you have created so far.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Such lucky finding in the parcel, Mrs. A!! Surely these stripes came to the right person!! :)
Great use of some of those strips, both your cards are so creative! Love the trellis on the first one and the dimension you achieved with the white strips. The second one is very impressive with the waving and the gold embossing, love the rustic feel! The bird looks so pretty on it!

Karen McAlpine said...

You just never know what interesting things you can find in a box. Lucky!! Great and creative use of the extra packing materials. Girl after my own heart. LOL The basketweave is really cute. I think I have that bird stamp too. Kingfisher blue tit...it is all good.

Cathy said...

What a treat to have the bonus usable packaging Mrs A! Love what you've done with the strips, great cards, Cathy x

Liz said...

Great way of using the packaging Mrs A, two super cards. I’m with your hubby, it’s definitely a beautifully coloured kingfisher. The blue tits who nest in our garden have tiny little beaks.
Liz xx

Barbara said...

I am so impressed with your work and all of those strips. You have set yourself up to be very productive. I see that you went ahead and made the two cards, and they are just the best. I love the striped one and the second card is so different, both amazing. I am so glad that you linked up to the Double D Challenge.

Stamps and Paper said...

Nothing gets wasted with us crafters...great use of your scrap card pieces..lovely card

Anne

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Valery, hoping you are well. What beautiful cards you've created, and making great use of your little scraps too. I'm chuckling at the Doc's remark, one person's Blue Tit is another's kingfisher 😄 Kate x

Donna said...

Fabulous cards, what a great way to use scraps. Thanks for inspiring me!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wow, Mrs A., I'm impressed. I'm not sure that I'd be as clever in using those strips, you're certainly on a roll. I think the bird stamp is the design error not your colouring.
It's brilliant idea in using the yellow strips and really compliment the flower and same with the weaving.
It's 4am here and hot, it was 30c at midnight but I slept with fan. Very grateful for fans.
Heading back to bed for more shut-eye. Just done bible and some prayer. It's my usual pattern these days I rarely (maybe once a year if that) sleep though without doing this pattern these days.
At least I do mostly manage to sleep. God is very good. Praying for you and hubby 🙏
Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and keep you and all whom you love safe and well for 2024!
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

*Vicki* said...

These are wonderful creations! I love that happy yellow color in there and your use of scraps is brilliantly done! Thanks for sharing your creations with us at the Mix It Up Challenge!

Jenny L said...

Hi Mrs A,
You have always been very clever at using up packaging to make your crafting creations I remember you using a lots of wonderful things in the past.
Your cards look so fantastic and I love their wonderful designs and your stamped images are perfect for those designs.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Carol L said...

I am impressed with the way you put those strips to such good use after they were used for packaging your order. Those diagonal stripes look so amazing with the painted rose, but the embossed basket weaving is just incredibly clever and looks so pretty with that cute little bird. Take a bow, you've earned it!

dutchess said...

Fabulous way to use those bonus scraps Mrs A….such ingenuity I would never have thought of that weaving …so clever
Hope the high winds didn’t affect you too much I just had to stay in heyho a good excuse to craft….take care xxxx

Pat said...

Lovely cards with some beautiful images and designs, thanks for sharing at Fab'n'Funky.

Pat xx

Brenda in IN said...

I love your recycle ideas and the way you use everything. The yellow striped card is terrific. The coloring on the flower is a great color match. The basket weave is so clever and the bird looks charming with his bright belly.

Conniecrafter said...

How wonderful to get some good papers you can use and you did beautiful job with both cards, love the background on the first with the pretty flowers framed and the bird is sweet with the basket weave background.

JD/ Jill said...

Great use of those strips ...You made some beautiful cards with them,

aussie aNNie said...

Amazing and what a gorgeous cards these are with this lovely design and colours ♥

Mrs.B said...

Definitely Top of the Class for recycling Mrs. A
Two great cards and I do line the basket weave and the bird is lovely - whatever species he is.
Avril xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Wow, you have been very industrious and inventive with those paper strips. Gorgeous cards made with them too.
Lorraine

Greta said...

Good for you using those yellow strips so quickly! Love both your cards! I haven't done paper weaving in a long time, so need to remedy that soon! Love how you added the gold embossing powder!

Rachel said...

Using up scraps is so satisfying, isn't it? Great cards, and thanks for joining us at the Mix It Up Challenge!

Ink Outside The Box With Diane said...

Wow! Two great uses of scrap card stock. And those cards are fabulous! I’m going to have to try the basket weave/gold embossing thing. Thanks for the inspiration. And thank you for playing with our the Occasion theme with the Krafty Chicks Challenge.
Diane - KCC DT