Friday, September 16, 2016

Home.

Running late but I overdid it gardening 
and had to have a couple of days resting up.
Here is my finished project for the 2nd week
to hopefully inspire you.

I picked this plaque up from the local charity shop
some time ago for £1. The E had a piece broken off
that had been roughly glued back in place but as I knew
I would be covering it up it wasn't a problem.
The only problem I did have was that I started
altering it without taking a before photo.
The Doc alerted me to this fact so I quickly put 
it all back together again for a photo shoot. 

I'm the last of the big spenders here as I used toilet 
roll tissue torn up and then glued using pva paste.
I happen to like the pattern of this particular roll
which has roses on it and it helps to not see
the  torn joins when stuck together.

Here is a close up of  the last two letters.
Other toilet roll makes and patterns are equally as good!
It took a couple of days to complete and leave to dry thoroughly.

Once dry I gave the letters a couple of coats of
 paint using a sample poster pot in lavender.
(I find these little pots of sample paint colours from 
the DIY shop are ideal for covering my craft projects).

Then came the fun part of decorating. 
I found everything in my stash. I painted a piece of 
corrugated cardboard with a deeper purple colour and then 
tore it up into rough pieces to randomly adhere to the letters.


I replaced the glass and cut a circle of paper to fit.
The paper design is my own as I tried my hand at 
making marbled paper using  the shaving foam technique.
I did that out in the garden as it can be quite messy
but I had  fun. I made several sheets up using different 
coloured reinkers. The papers all have a lovely shaving foam
smell to them but it did make me sneeze when I was
die cutting the butterflies from it! 
Here is a close up of the marbled paper.
I used Lyndon,Whidley and Theo Poppy Stamp dies
plus Pippa  and Isabella Memory box dies on the butterflies.
Entering into the following challenges:
Altered Electics #Anything goes.
Creative Artiste #18 Anything Mixed media goes.
Love To Craft #2 Anything goes.
Rhedd's Creative Spirit # Anything goes.
Craft Your Passion #329 Anything goes.
Love To Scrap #85 Flower power.
Cuttlebug Mania # Anything goes with die cuts.
Crafty Creations #324 For the home.
Inspiration Destination #103 Anything goes.
Creative Fingers #116 Anything goes.
Really Reasonable Ribbons #149 Things with wings +ribbon or twine.
Pixie's Crafty Workshop #246  Use up your snippets (Loads on here).

33 comments:

Kathleen said...

Just when I thought I had finished for the Evening, up you pop.
A fabulous conversion job, lovely colours and great use of the toilet roll, even the little Butterflies are quite sweet.
Enjoy the weekend and I hope you haven't used up all your toilet roll supplies.

Kath x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

this is beautiful and I have to say you have inspired me to get on with altering my 'HOME' piece. Yours is stunning and loving the toilet paper.Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

Handcrafted by Ellapu
Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

brenda said...

It's absolutely beautiful Valery and super recycling. Must check out some of the charity shops.

Hope you have a good weekend.

B x

Di said...

Really stunning make Mrs A! You must have nice charity shops in your neck of the woods - and all your work really turned this into a thing of beauty! I 'spose one could buy a cheapo word at somewhere like The Range or a pound-type shop and dolly it up? There's a thought!

Hugs

Di xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous alteration Mrs A, what a bargain find!
Never thought of using toilet roll, but it gives a great texture. Love all the pretty embellishments.
Avril xx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow mrs A., such a wonderful project!! It must have token you ages, but the result is just amazing!! Brilliant home decor!! The idea of toilet rolls papers to cover it has been very clever and love the pattern of roses on it!!! And the circle inside de "O" with your own marbling, using the shaving foam technique, looks fabulous! Very beautiful embellishments with these gorgous butterflies and flowers!
Pinned! :)
https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524484675883/

Donna said...

This is absolutely stunning, quite a work of art, I am at a loss of words to describe how amazing it is!!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW it looks stunning...love the lavender and the gorgeous textures you have achieved
Cheers
Dr Sonia

MagsB said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Mrs A! And what a genius idea to use toilet paper, much nicer than the trad newspaper for papier mache and no ink to make your fingers dirty!

love Mags B x

Karen Petitt said...

Crumbs I am so glad I popped over to take a closer look at this. I've heard of a couple of techniques using toilet roll paper but not this way. It's fabulous Mrs A, wonderful texture and a lovely lavender shade. I will try to remember the technique next time I recycle something as it's a beautiful piece of home decor Karen x

Sue said...

This is fabulous Mrs A! love the colour and the loo paper is a fab idea huggles Sue xx

MRS DUCK said...

Hi Mrs A
Wow! What a great bit of upcycling. Genius use of loo roll too.
Best wishes.
Ang x

cuilliesocks said...

Wow how beautiful Valery, beautifully decorated with gorgeous embellishments, brilliant project, Kate x

Brenda in IN said...

What a beautiful piece of home decor you created. AND out of bits and things you already had! You are very creative.

rachel said...

quite a transformation Valery - so very pretty! Hugs rachel x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Oh Wow, Mrs. A, this is absolutely beautiful! Love the transformation from before to after - would never know it was the same piece! Stunning work!

Kim said...

Wow! What a beautiful transformation. I love all the bits and bobs you used to decorate your 'Home'. LOVE those butterflies. Such a clever idea!

Unknown said...

Oh wowzer that's stunning! Love them gorgeous butterflies too!
Lucy x

Sandra H said...

This is amazing Mrs A what a tranformation and l love that you have added the butterflies too! x

Creative world said...

Gorgeous project, awesome idea and I love your added embelishments...thank you for joining us at Craft your Passion challenge... Hugs Zeljka DT

MaryH said...

I hope you get rested up from all your labors! This was such a fun post to read about the creative process used to make this lovely Home Dec piece. How cleverly you've recycled, and what a nice addition it will make to your home. Loving the new blog look too! TFS & Have a great week

Jenny L said...

Hi Mrs A,
what very superb creation.
I love everything you have done to this wonderful item.
The lavender colour is gorgeous, and your shaving foam background is super.
I don't garden this time of year as there are too many spiders in the garden.
Pity Norm has a broken arm otherwise I could borrow him to help.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Craftychris said...

This is awesome! I love it! There is so much detail - thank you for the tutorial! Say hello back to Norm for me, thank you! Take care! xxxxxxx

Karen Letchworth said...

Hi there, ValeryAnne!
What an awesome Things With Wings card. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us. We love to have you play along, and hope that you will join us again real soon.
Karen Letchworth
Really Reasonable Ribbon DT

Karen Letchworth said...

Sorry! I didn't mean to say "card", I meant to say project. I got to typing too fast, as usual. LOL
Hugs,
Karen

Pat said...

What a fabulous creation ValeryAnne and I love the look you have given it with the toilet paper texture and all the pretty flowers and butterflies. A really beautiful colour too. x

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

What a great re-vamp of a bargain! It's beautiful and you did a great job making it look beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Love to Craft! Challenge Blog
Tina dt

Sammy said...

So lovely! My favourite colour too. We had one of these come in to the charity shop I volunteer in last week. After seeing this I wish I'd bought it! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

Wheelie Crafty said...

Awesome re vamp, of an old bargain. Love how it turned out. Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

Sandra Wright. said...

This is so gorgeous..love how you have added texture to the letters...
What a fab entry for our challenge at Altered Eclectics this month..x

Sheryl said...

What a find and what an awesome transformation. It's just lovely.
Glad you joined us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge this month.
Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

My Scrap Pages and Cards said...

Your creation has turned out fantastic and pretty
thanks for joining our challenge over at
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
Debbie DT

cherry said...

very pretty and perfect wings challenge project!