Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Herringbone Technique and Acetate.

It is the start of a new yr  of challenges over at the Butterfly Challenge  The challenge has now been going for 5yrs and is about to enter it's sixth yar.  There is a brand new Butterfly wheel and a slightly different  format.

Here are my inspiration cards for you.

On my first card I have used the herringbone technique to use up loads of the scraps of design paper that seem to multiply all by  themself if left unattended.
I have used Amber/Almond/ Butterfly from the wheel.



The Sentiment is a digi stamp by  Digi Stamp Boutique 'Birthday Mr Bear Sentiment'. The butterfly was already out on my desk left over from another project.  I think it is an SU. punch. Pearl was from my stash. I took out all the small pieces of design paper from my yellow folder and cut them into strips of different widths. I cut a piece of card to the size I required for my card front and used a sticky sheet to cover one side, then using the Herringbone Technique (there are loads of excellent videos and tutorals on You Tube)  covered the entire piece.  I still had loads of the wretched strips over so I just kept cutting and covering more pieces of card until I only had the following left.

 I now have several ready to go backing card pieces for future cards or even to be die cut.  Now there's a thought!

 For My second card I have used Aperture Card /Acetate/Apple Green/ Butterfly from the wheel.

 I have had this piece of acetate with the butterfly design on it in my stash for absolutely ages and have been itching to use it on just the right card.  Only trouble was that it was already pre cut so I had to find a die cut the right size to make the aperture with. Fortunately my Spellbinders deckled Rectangles were perfect.  The sentiment was a black sticker from my stash.
You can see from this picture that because I have attached the acetate to the front of the card that the inside is neat and tidy.  I have now added a Card Shape page to the Butterfly Blog and you can see instructions/ hints/tips on how to make a basic aperture card using 3 different designs on there. I will be adding new card shapes to this page as we progress through the alphabet on the challenges.
 Do hope you will come and join me. The  challenges last for the normal two weeks from today.


15 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Mrs A wow love all these cards ,such lovely colour ,beautiful work my friend,well done xx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two beautiful cards and backgrounds Valery Anne. I love the herring bone technique you've used its a great way to use up the left over bits.

Sue xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A this is a stunning pair of cards. I love how you have used your snippets to make that background. It seems lots of us are doing this. Congratulations on your challenge anniversary. Take care. Hugs Jackie

MagsB said...

Your herringbone backgrounds are such a great idea, Mrs A, and how sensible to make several so that they're ready and waiting! These cards are so different from each other, and both are so pretty!

love Mags B x

Diane said...

Wonderful background and what lovely designs.

Hugs Diane

Mia said...

Both gorgeous cards, Valery. I do not know this technique, but I will try to find out more. Kisses, my friend.

Chris said...

Two gorgeous cards...love that background technique what a great way to use up snippets, it looks fantastic. Must give it a go...I have enough 'leftovers' to make hundreds!
Chris
x

Mac Mable said...

What a fun and beautiful technique on your first card and great that you have more backgrounds to use in future projects. The card is so very pretty and the font on the sentiment looks great. The framing and aperture on the second card is wonderful and love the design and the colour combination x.

Kathleen said...

Two lovely cards, great technique and some pretty papers on the first card and a lovely butterfly on the second card, love the lime green.

Kath x

KandA said...

Two wonderful cards Mrs A. Love how you used the snippets with the fabulous herringbone effect and lovely colours.... and the butterfly you used on the aperture card is gorgeous xx

cuilliesocks said...

Such lovely cards Valery, the designs are gorgeous and I love all the colours you've chosen for the challenge, Kate x

Brenda in IN said...

What a great way to use scraps and how beautiful the backgrounds are. That butterfly is so pretty and the simplicity of the card really shows it off.

Michelle said...

These cards are gorgeous and the herringbone effect looks amazing - Michelle x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

There's nothing works better on a card than a butterfly and these are so pretty. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Amazing papers you made with the herringbone technique!!! Love their delicate look! Both the cards are adorable, thanks for the inspirations! I am really busy this time, sorry if I don't play so frequently ... :(