Saturday, January 19, 2013

V is for Venus.


Over at The Craft Barn  they are starting something new called the Alpha Challenge. If you have an old dictionary you can play along. You can either alter the dictionary itself or you can take pages to insert them into an art journal. A new letter of the alphabet will be posted every two weeks. The first letter is V.
I have chosen to make a journal book  of my dictionary  pages.  I made the hard covers for the front and back from sturdy card which I have rounded the edges on and punched holes to take the book ring binders. Apart from the dictionary which I purchased from the local charity shop every else used is from my stash
 

 
Looking through the pages for V  I found Venus the God of love and as I knew I had this roman stamp and the heart stamp decided to use them on my page.  I painted over  the page ( except for the defintion on venus which you must leave showing)with white paint
and when dry stamped over the top using a distressed ink pad. The fancy letter I downloaded from the  internet here. Scrap of ribbon and lace from my stash.
 

 
Here is a close up of the page showing the detail. I think on future pages I will water down the white paint as you cannot really see much of the dictionary page  but it is there trust me!
I wonder what the next letter will be as they are being randomly picked each time.
 
Entering into:
The Craft Barn : Alpha challenge  letter V. 


22 comments:

CuddlyBunny said...

This page is great! Love the mix of imagery!

Annie said...

A lovely collage for your word choice. This will be a fun alpha journal book for you.

Di said...

What a fabulous idea Mrs A! And I love your first letter covered. That's gonna keep you busy, I'd never even stopped to think that the 26 letters of the alphabet would cover a whole year at two-weekly intervals - let alone think of a layout every two weeks linked to a dictionary word!! :(

Hugs, Di xxx

Sylvia said...

Great page, love all the collage.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your page, Venus is a great choice! Valerie

Karen said...

This is just lovely Mrs A! Thank you for joining us over at The Craft Barn x

Catherine said...

What a fantastic idea Valery Anne ! You are so creative ! Hope you are having a lovely week-end ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

Sandra H said...

Hi Mrs A........This is a great page xx

Zue said...

This is gorgeous, Val. I love handmade books. I love your palette too
xxx
Stay warm

Elaine said...

Great first page - love your choice of words and stamps!

Dawn said...

Fab page Mrs A, I love a good collage spread. What a beautiful stamp too.
Hugs x

Scrapmate said...

It's a very virginal white page! A great start.

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from the Alpha Challenge - What a wonderful stamp to use. I've never seen a Roman styled stamp before. It looks quite big too. The fancy letter V is so nice, thank you for sharing the link - very useful. :0) Mo

Neil said...

Hi there.
Wow you've had fun! Glad to see you playing along with the challenge!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I have to ask one question - why is the challenge starting with V, and not at the start of the alphabet. Having said that, what you have done with it is really lovely. thank you for your visit and the message you left. Have a good week, and keep safe in the snow. xx Maggie

Grenouille Greetings said...

V seems an unusual place for a challenge to start but I think its a really fun idea and your Venus page is perfect! Hugs, Lesley

Merry said...

How wonderful....can't wait to see how you progress with this challenge. Love what you have come up with.

Anonymous said...

great collage page. Looking forward to seeing the next one
Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn.
Izzy

Kim Dellow said...

Great page! Looking forward to how your project grows! Kim

Ali said...

What a wonderful idea. Great transformation from the first photo. Can't wait to see how it progresses.
Ali x

JansArtyJunk said...

Fab choice of word Mrs A...glad that you are also playing along with this challenge..can't wait to see what you do with 'C' now :) x

Faye said...

Those images all work really well together. Gorgeous page with pretty details Mummy. x