Wednesday, March 24, 2021

More Rug Mugs.

Here are a few more of the Rug Mugs that got sent out as part of the Spot The Difference Prizes at the beginning of the year. 

First up is this Patchwork made up of tiny squares no more than 1" to 1.5" big . This one went to Alison C. who loves  playing with Mixed Media.


There is a  story to these squares of fabric as they are all more than 40yrs old! Long, long before the Internet  and shopping on line if you wanted to buy material and sewing items and couldn't travel to the required shops you could request a catalogue and samples to be sent to you in the post, if you sent a stamped self addressed envelope that is and enclosed a £1 coin. Now when I say catalogue do not go thinking of the glossy magazines that you now get that arrive on your doormat enticing you to buy goodies online . These were merely hand typed (typewriter) or dare I even mention produced on a Gestetner machine and the pages stapled together. They were no more than 20 pages at the most. I was very into doll making at the time and so needed material that all had ditsy prints on them and this was an easy way of picking out what I needed to buy. (You paid by sending off a postal order!) I even have the names of the shops I dealt with "The Patchwork Dog" in Lewes which only stopped trading just 5 yrs ago and the "Quilt Room."  in Dorking which is still open and on line. (Will also still send samples to you!!!) As you can see I still have lots of little bags of  samples so me thinks there will be more mug rugs being made before very long. 

I'm showing both the Front and the Back of the next Mug Rug as Hazel has two much loved pets
This is Belle (fathfully depicted)
And Harry (Stripes and all)

Margreet loves Lace,Ribbon , Buttons and I managed to combine all on her rug also using an Oriental fabric as Margreet already has a Japanese themed item I have previously sent her. 


Wilma makes the most amazing cards using embroidered designs incorporated into them so I embroidered round the little bird here on her mug rug. Wilma loves birds too.


Anybody who know Kath (Handmade By Kath) also knows that she and her husband own a Camper Van called Zebedee so it was a total no brainer  as to the design on her mug rug. 
Meet Zebedee. 


Hugs 

26 comments:

Hazel (Didos) said...

Belle Harry and I love our Rug Mug. They thing they look fantastic in thread. Thank You so much for the gift, its brilliant, H xx

Kath said...

My Zebedee mug rug is fabulous Mrs A - it's in Zeb ready and waiting for us to be able to go away again!
Kath x

Aquarius said...

These are all brilliant and I'm sure the recipients loved them as much as I loved the one you made for me. I remember those 'old days' of ordering fabrics by post and yes I imagine I still have some of the little squares somewhere in the depths of my cupboards. Strawberry Fair on Dartmoor was one of my favourites as well as the ones you mentioned.

Valerija said...

Wow, so wonderful projects and an interesting story.
Valerija xx

Liz said...

These are fabulous, Mrs A. I love mine. xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A they are all gorgeous. I love them all. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Sue - said...

Mrs A these are amazing!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

These are all gorgeous Valery Anne and very paitent of you with these tiny scraps of fabric.

Sue xx

cuilliesocks said...

OMGosh Valery, all of your Mug Rugs are gorgeous, I loved the patchwork rug, than I scrolled down and saw the other and WOW! you are certainly a talented lady. I just love mine and it's in use where ever I take my mug.
It's so special to have one made that's so personal to the person, Kate x

cotnob said...

Another wonderful selection of Mug Rugs, I love the patchwork one and I can remember the fabric catalogues and samples, my Mother used to get them.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

What a lovely selection of mug rugs x

Brenda in IN said...

This are terrific and each one is special for each person. What a wonderful gift these are. I love the bird, it is so delicate looking. I am getting frantic now about this. It's been over a month.

crafty-stamper said...

All beautiful and beautiful materials,love how you personalised them -really love the Japanese themed one
Carol x

Margreet said...

I am so very glad with the mug rug you made especially for me. It is fabulous how you know your blogger friends to make them all a personalised one. You are a great artist!
xxx Margreet

Karenladd said...

What lovely personalized mug rugs, and it's also fun to learn a bit about some of your followers. It's impossible to pick a favorite but I do love the camper van and Hazel's much beloved pets. The Japanese print also appeals to me as I'm of Japanese ancestry. Wonderful prizes and beautiful work!

Donna said...

These are so amazing, so much love and thought has gone in to your mug rugs. I will always treasure mine!

aussie aNNie said...

awesome Mrs A. x

Carol S. said...

They are all so personal Mrs. A. A lot of thoughts in the making and I love mine. Hugs, Carol S.xxx

Sandra H said...

Ooh wow is there no end to your talent Mrs A they are so lovely and creative and what a fab idea just so creative and inspiring xx

Mac Mable said...

You are so thoughtful and kind Mrs A to have put so much thought and effort into these beautiful rug mugs x. I enjoyed reading the story of the good old days and the 'glossy' magazines and samples x.

Di said...

These are truly gorgeous! I love all the thought and love you've put into making them. And all the connections make them so very personal as well. Clever sausage!

Hugs

Di xx

Freubelmina said...

Dear ValeryAnne, I enjoy your beautiful creation every day.
How thoughtful you are and what a job to make such a personal creation for everyone ....
Really, thank you very very very much again !!
Much love to you from me xxxx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

You really have gold-hands, Mrs. A! Any rug mug is amazing (and mine too! :D ) and it's stunning what you are able to do with tiny pieces of fabric!
Loved reading about the story of the old fabric pieces and the handmade catalogue. I think they were amazing times, when people worked hard but with heart and soul. No Artificial Intelligences, no Amazon, only working humans. Sometime I’d like to go back in time.
Hugs

Zoe Tant said...

you have been very busy again Valery Anne. Love them all. Zoe x

Sue said...

Fabulous mug rugs Mrs A! hope your staying safe and well hugs Sue x

AlisonC said...

These are all so amazing, I love mine but am scared to use it. I used to buy 'offcuts' in Laura Ashley. They sold bags of fabric which were the bits left after the clothes were cut out. I still have some of them though many were used in patchwork projects. xxx