Friday, August 31, 2018

Rudolph #8

I'm in by the skin of my teeth. If ever two cards could go wrong then these were prime candidates.
Neither have finished up as they started out. The first one is the best of a bad job and the second one I  didn't like  how it was going and changed it to a joy fold card half way through!!

So here is the first card using a recycled christmas card from my stash box.  I didn't want to do much with the card as it pretty much had everything needed on it so my bright idea was to place the card front in the centre and then fold the sides (of the new backing card)over to meet in the middle. Simples,  except that I miscalculated the design paper and needed to trim just a smidgeon off the right hand side that was hanging over. Not a problem, got the trimmer out and promptly cut it too near the edge and cut the fold off as well!!!  %^&* ~$#+% or words to that effect rent the air.  So after looking at it in despair I thought you know what it looks ok with only the 1 flap so I made a belly band up with the flap I cut off and added the flat back pearls and called it done.
 With the band enclosure and below partially opened.

 Showing fully opened. The backing papers were from a pad by Glitz called Joyeux noel and the Merry Christmas sentiment on the band is a Transparent Glitter sticker by Starform.

Entering this card into Scrappy Mo's Rudolph #8 challenge.

My next card was to just use some toppers that I had left over from a sheet that had been in my stash for ages. Not sure who they are by now. I had arranged them over a 6" square base card but thought it looked way to plain so I cut the card down across the middle at 3.5" and then the smaller piece down again to 2.5" x 3" . Papers are from the same pack as first card.  Base card is from a pack of 6 foiled cards by Tonic Studios . The resulting Joy fold card is much more pleasing to the eye I think.


The sentiments are gold stickers from my stash. The round circle topper is held up on a 3D pad to make the closure on the front.  Whilst compiling this card I stuck the green  paper on skew wiffy on the front so had to take it off and remake. I don't generally put the sentiment on until I have  done that part but I was trying to save time by making the front up and then attaching it lock stock and barrel!!
Fortunately I managed to prise the image plus the sentiment off and cut another piece of green paper (as I ruined the first piece getting it back off). Double sided sticky tape is wonderful until you need to peel it back up!!
Below is the card front opened to show the largest topper on the inside .

Lastly card fully opened.

TGIF!!

16 comments:

Kathleen said...

Two really lovely cards, and the first card is my favourite I think it look really great.

Kath x

Liz said...

Two lovely cards, Mrs A. Your Christmas card is really festive and was worth persevering to create such a lovely card. Your Joy Fold card is really lovely, I love the snowdrops. I love making Joy Fold cards, in fact there will be one popping up on my blog in the morning. xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Mrs A,
Happy Rudolf Days.
Such wonderful cards and beautiful designs.
You acheived 2 lovely cards even though you say you had probs with them when you started.
The papers and images on both are so lovely and make excellent Christmas cards.
Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I really think that they aren't bad!!! The first card looks wonderful with that unusual look! Love the idea of the belly band, it compliments perfectly the design!
The Joy fold card is gorgeous and sweet with those toppers!

LesleyG said...

Crumbs, you did well to make two lovely cards after all that. We've all had sessions like that, but yours turned out fab, love the fancy folds xxx

scrappymo! said...

You are too hard on yourself, girl~ These are both fabulous. The first card is wonderful. The way you cut the front to show half of the inside, looks so good.

The second card is beautiful. That fold is amazing! I like the gold colour as well.

Great upcycling, \ValleryAnne.

Thanks for taking part in the August Rudolph Days Challenge.

Doreen said...

Two gorgeous cards.xxx

Brenda in IN said...

You hung in there and made two gorgeous cards, Valery. I love the design of the first one and the belly band compliments the card. You're right about that sticky tape, I've had my moments with it too. The snowdrops are beautiful and the fold is wonderful. Why are gophers so busy? They have to gopher this and gopher for that.

KandA said...

Two super cards Mrs A and fabulous upcycling xx

Donna said...

Your efforts paid off big time, both gorgeous cards, the first one is really striking! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Sandra H said...

Both cards are so beautiful hope you enjoy your weekend xx

Greta said...

Would never know these cards were struggles, Mrs A! You sure ended up with gorgeous cards! I especially love the first one!

aussie aNNie said...

Two amazing cards and love the results with your 'struggle' xx

MaryH said...

I like both of these cards, and #1 with the candy stripe and gorgeous wreath is just lovely. I liked the way you've done this fold. #2 shows off your stick-to-itiveness (is that a word?!) and doesn't show a bit of your creativity struggle. It is frustrating when you've been so careful, then something goes down wonky. You've used these stickers so well, and it's a great salvage, because it's just a lovely, elegant card. TFS & Hugs

Whisper said...

WOW what a stunning pair of Xmas cards and thanks for joining at August's Rudolph Days Challenge, Luv Sam x

Karenladd said...

Well, I got the giggles reading about your various mishaps, but your two cards ended up looking just beautiful. Oh my gosh, I can only imagine your frustration when you accidentally cut the fold in that first card but what a wonderful save.