Friday, November 29, 2013

Let there be Light.


The 2nd challenge this month  over at Dreamtime Designs is to create a working light box. The challenge is in 4 parts and each part must be tackled. Now that might seem a daunting task but it really is quite simple if you take it step by step.

Part A.
Do some on line research about creating a handmade light box and  decide which design will better suit you and your needs. Give credit to design in your challenge post.
I had already been thinking about a light box for taking better photos with but had the constraint of storage for a shop bought one so this challenge was ideal. My criteria was simple  it had to dismantle and be put together in seconds and need to fold completely flat for storage under a chest of drawers. Whilst I was mulling this over my friend Di spotted a tutorial on the web and pointed me in the right direction. Here. I liked the look of this so after modifying to my own specifications  this is what I made.

Part B.
Create Light box taking step by step photos .explain each step with how you are putting it together until your project  is complete.  Give/show list of supplies.
I had no idea what foam core was but again my friend Di came to the rescue and told me I could purchase it from Hobby Craft. Thanks Di.

I bought a 5 sheet pack in A3 size. (11¾x 16 ¼).


I used the width of the steel ruler as my guide for making the interlocking tabs and masking tape for marking which sections to cut away. I double checked my  markings before cutting  and used a craft knife which sliced through the foam board with ease.
  

 
Here you can see 3 sides slotted together to make sure that it fitted before cutting the last  sheets.

Once they had all been cut I marked the back of each piece with the position they needed to be in to make the box up (they will only fit one way). Here they are piled in the order of contstruction.

The back is laid out first and then the sides are slotted into the base on the  left and right.

The back is slotted in place and finally the sides are folded up to complete the box.

 
The finished light box which I had decided to make the other way up as I wanted my lights to be shining down into the box and not from the front. This also eliminated the need for a separate back drop.

Part C.
 Take a photo of one of your designs without the light box as you would normally have done. This is  your before photo.
 This is my perpetual calendar that  is always on my desk and was handy to use for the experiment. Taken as I normally do using a green cloth background on a table beside my desk. Desk lights are on and to the side of the table.

Take another photo of the same design but this time inside your light box. This is your after photo.
I then put  the calendar inside the light box which I stood on my desk and had the floor white/daylight lamp  and the desk white/ daylight lamp on overhead.

Part D.
Explain  your experience including
1. Has the light box helped you ? if so How?  As you can see from the photos the light box has eliminated the dark shadows cast by the calendars sides  Image  is also more defined.
2. Are you using the light box inside or outside of the house?  Inside as above.
3. Are you using lights? if so which kind? Yes. As explained above.
4.Tell 2 tips or tricks about creating or using the light box.
 
Tips and tricks.
Buy 1 more piece of the foam than you need in case of errors. My pack came with 5 and I only needed 4. (I very nearly cut the wrong tab off of one piece whilst contructing and only just spotted in time!)
Make longer tabs( as I have ) if you will be taking apart each time  as this will save wear and tear on the joints. If the box is to be made up permanently then dovetail smaller so that it fits together snugly.
Use only  light pencil marks  as these are  easier to erase off and use masking tape  for writing on.
Store in a plastic cover as the whiteboard marks very easily.
 
And finally my most important criteria. Yes it fits under the chest of drawers!! It also makes up in under 1 minute. (I timed myself.)

 
Entering into the following challenge:
Dreamtime Designs challenge #2: Construct a light box.



 






20 comments:

JansArtyJunk said...

Wow , this is brilliant Mrs A, well done!!! X

Sherry said...

What a fab project and so well explained too. Great photography results xx

Debbie said...

OMG Genius Mrs A.
Must get on with this and do one, have wanted to do it for ages. Is it really as easy as you made it look tho!
Dx

Sarn said...

GENIUS xxx

Hettie said...

Ooooo! This is clever! It is also easy to post!
Hugs
xx

Busy Little Chicken said...

I made a similar one to this using A3 card, but I glued mine together, and find it very awkward to store! This is a great idea!! : )

Karen Petitt said...

Fab! When are you taking orders and how much? Have to admit I've resorted to putting mine on white card with white card behind and my light overhead - it works for me at the moment xx

Sandra H said...

Absolutely stunning Mrs A your so brilliant at anything x

Kathleen said...

This is fabulous, what a star you are, but for me this would have been a nightmare challenge lol.

Kath x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wow Mrs A. you are really really amazing in the things you make it is lesson here to enjoy..

..as we have good lighting here in Oz even on greyish days, but know someone am going to email this link too thanks so mcuh for sharing, well done! Shaz in Oz.x

scrappymo! said...

Great tutorial! And useful too!

PS I only bought up a teensy portion of America...but it felt great! I t is covering my dining room table at the moment...waiting to be wrapped tomorow!

Cindy said...

This looks marvelous. You have done a great job. thank you for joining DDCC. Hugs, Cindy

Jan said...

I love the idea of completely dismantling and easily putting back together, a big plus is being able to store it out of the way. Well done.

Jan x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Ooooh, I'm impressed Mrs A, very clever design, I'll make one too, I'm struggling with the photos this time of the year.

Thank you for the tut sweetie.

Warm hugs
Maarit

Susanne Vargas said...

How cool! This looks like even I could make it... Have bookmarked those instructions... Maybe after the holidays...

Di said...

Hi there Mrs 4 down and 26 to go! I never commented on your light box, it's fabulous! Well done, a tricky challenge for sure - I wonder if a future one will be to make a card with your eyes closed? :)

Hugs, Di xx (almost walking upright!)

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

Not only is your light box brilliant, but the results it give are amazing! X

Grenouille Greetings said...

Great lightbox. Great calendar too and it really does look better when photographed in your light box. Hugs, Lesley

Merry said...

Fantastic post Mrs A and like you I like the fact that this light box can come apart for storage. Thanks so much for sharing all the detail. Also off to check out this challenge blog as that was an interesting challenge.

Kimbo said...

Absolutely brilliant x