Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Butterflies.

I have made this for the Butterfly Project that Tee of Creations by Tee  had mentioned on her blog. The Holocaust Museum Houston is collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies  for an exhibition scheduled for Spring 2014. They have asked for  butterflies to be made in any medium but should be 2 dimensional and no bigger than 8" x 10". They have collected 9000,000 so far.



Other than the fact that I wanted to make it from material I really had no concept when I started out so it really evolved (as they do) along the way. I had a basic template which I cut out to size and then recut a slightly smaller version for the top wings (my butterfly comes out at 6" x  9"). Using a pretty piece of butterfly fabric from my stash I cut four pieces and used bondaweb to stick a front and a back together. Then decided I wanted the top wings to be lightly stuffed so had to peel the backing off to get the wadding in place (see what hapens when you don't have a plan). The beads, pearls, lace and wire for the antenna were all from my stash using up odds and ends.  The yellow lace has got to be 30yrs plus and the cream 20yrs plus!  I think this qualifies as a snippet for  Pixies Crafty Workshop.






A side ways view showing the  dimensional stuffed wings which give the overall butterfly a depth of just over 1cm. I went to town on the bling using green tube beads and gold pearls from a long ago  broken necklace.



All in all considering I didn't know where I was going with this one I'm pleased with the result. Butterfly is now winging it's way to Tee in USA for onward transportation to the museum.

Entering into the following challenges:

Handmade Harbour: Handmade Mondays.
Craft Your Passion: Things with wings.
Creative Belli: Anything but a card.
2 Sisters Challenge:. Anything goes.
Dream Valley: Things with wings.

32 comments:

Viv said...

Fabulous! And I'm not surprised you're pleased with it! A great addition to the Butterfly Project.

Always with a Sentiment said...

Hello Mrs. A. WOW, you are one amazing lady and a beautiful crafter. This is just fabulous, gorgeous colours and such pretty material. I am in awe of your work and creativity.
Happy crafting.
With love, Sandra xxx

Createology said...

This is such a beautiful butterfly with such a giving and loving soul. I made many butterflies for this amazing cause. You just might have inspired me to make some more. Blissful Butterfly...

Margreet said...

This is awesome, Mrs. A!!...gorgeous that it will be shown in a museum!
xxx Margreet

Chris said...

A beautiful butterfly and so creative.
Chris p

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

Your butterfly is lovely. I bet the exhibition is going to have some stunning exhibits. Hope you have a good week.

Whimcees said...

Hello!

Beautiful butterfly - perfection! I have been looking at all the past posts I missed and your creations are lovely! Thank you for the offer of the Cat Blocks images - I happily accept but would like to send something in return! Wishing you a happy day today!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Debbie said...

How lovely for a butterfly so beautiful to be going to the Holocaust Museum, just perfect Mrs A. Debbiexx

Tee said...

Mrs A. This is Stunning Work! This beautiful butterfly represents a child lost to the holocaust..
Thank you for participating in this very special project with me! Hugs,Tee

lovetartan said...

Mrs A the butterfly is gorgeous! Love that its 3 dimensional.Mich x

Anonymous said...

It is lovely - just how a butterfly should be!

Amanda said...

What a fabulous butterfly and a great place an reason for making it. Hugs, Amanda x

Kandi said...

What a beautiful creation and a wonderful cause! It is ok if I borrow a photo of your butterfly for a round up post on the monthly makes for Annie. I will link back to you here x

Sandra H said...

Gosh gosh gosh Mrs A, This is totally beautiful and so nice of you to be making it for the reason you are how thoughtful! that's alot they have good luck to them and hopefully the numbers will continue to grow it's truly beautiful, the colours are gorgeous!!:)x

Catherine said...

OMG Mrs A ! This butterfly is gorgeous ! Love the colours, the lace and the beads ! Just stunning ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

jimlynn said...

This is s true work of art! So beautiful and the pearls are perfect on here. STUNNING creation!
Thanks for joining us at Belli Challenges.
Lynn

Carol said...

This is fabulous Mrs A. Love the materials and lace you've used. Wouldn't it be lovely filled with lavender! Thanks for keeping a swing warm, will definitely be in for a play on Sunday :) Carol x

Carolee Crafts said...

I love butterflies and this is so pretty and for such a good cause, off to have a look and see if I can send then one as well.

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog this week, it is appreciated.

Sunshine Girl said...

Its lovely - for such a good cause too.

Di said...

Absolutely wonderful Mrs A! When you said you were 'stuffing a butterfly' in the wee small hours a night or two ago my mind boggled a bit and I had no idea it would be a stunner like this one. Brilliant snippets work! Hugs, Di xx

Jan said...

That's a lovely butterfly and for a great cause. I've checked out the museum site on Tee's blog and might just do one myself, thank you for the links.
I think it's great when something evolves like your flutterby, I love the lace around the edge.

Jan x

PS.. thank you for popping over to my blog, I the oposite, I start by biting their heads off!!!!! :o)

Jan said...

ooops that should read..... I do the opposite.

Sarn said...

Hi Mrs A . . . beautiful butterfly. Interesting cause.

I've got Nutella sarnies with me if you're interested. YES! They are nutritional . . . and very good for your soul!

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Sew Sweet N Crafty said...

Oh, your butterfly is awesome!!! LOVE it. I love butterflies. I will have to try one of these.

Sew Sweet N Crafty
SewSweetNCrafty.blogspot.com

Highland Monkey's said...

It's amazing that sometimes when you start out on a project you don't know what the end result will be. You have certainly made this butterfly beautiful, she will be much appreciated I'm sure.

Kezzy said...

WOW wow wow gorgeous butterfly, the fabric and lace is awesome. Thank you for joining us at 2 Sisters Challenge Blog this week :-) Kerry x

Pat K said...

WOW, this is so beautiful. Love the lace and bead work. Thanks for playing in the Belli Challenge. hugs, Pat K.x

DollySelvam said...

wow...!!! the prettiest butterfly i have ever seen...hats-off

Country Mouse said...

How pretty!!! Thank you for sharing with us this week at Craft Your Passion Challenges!
audrey
dt member

Sally H said...

Wow, wow, wow! your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Mrs A. Just to let you know that tiny baby is gaining weight like billy-O and is home with her very proud mummy and daddy x

Elizabeth said...

Stunning - a real WOW project. I love everything about it. Elizabeth x

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful Mrs A, it really is gorgeous, and such a worthwhile project too.

Hugs
Brenda