Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mum & Dad.

Apologies for being missing in action but I needed some serious quality downtime to complete the project below by last weekend. Sunday was my parents (both on the same day) Birthdays and I wanted to make them a Family Album of old photos. I had anticipated it taking me 3 whole days but in the end took a solid 8 days to produce as the pages grew from being a mere 7  to 14 thus making 28  sides in all to decorate! I finished the book 2am Sunday Morning. Talk about cutting it fine!!  
 
 
I have only used up my hoarded stash. You can't see from the photo but the front is covered with a lid from a cake box with an acetate insert which I placed over the design paper and sentiment. The flowers were all created using my trusty rose creations die by Spellbinders and the leaves using a die by Die-namics which cuts a lovely leaf shape showing the veins. I used my promarkers and chalks to colour them.
The book pages are 6" x 6" and made of  thick card covered in various designs papers.They span 135yrs of family photos which is partly why the book took so long as I had to look up my genealogy files to check dates for each photo and verify the people. The lady above was born in 1880 and the photo is circa 1895.

I haven't used the original photos(as I needed to cut them down to fit the pages) just scaned them into my computer and printed out on cream cardstock. Some of the sepia ones I have enhanced with coloured chalks. The Gentleman in this photo is my G.G.Grandffather. Taken circa 1865


The boys in this photo are all wearing lace collars for their family portrait so I used some old lace to trim the picture with. Dates born 1906 - 1912.

This is my G.G. Grandfather on the other side of the  family.He was born 1825 and owned an Inn in Somerset. Not quite sure why he has the gun or dog. Maybe he just  liked to make sure the regulars paid for their beer!!!!

This is his Granddaughter my Grandmother who Sis and I get our love of dressmaking from.



I used lots of old buttons and beads up . This button is actually two. I cut the shank off the brass one so that it would sit in the bottom one and then stuck them togther and covered in glossy accents. Because I made more pages than intended they  were too thick to use the book binder clips I had in my stash so I used chain threaded through with bits of ribbon instead and made  ribbon ties held on by buttons for the closeure. (This is just a selection of the pages from the book as others are of living people and can't be shown.)


Happy to report that Mum loved her book and Dad did in his own way too.
 
I would like to enter my book into the following challenges:

Pixies crafty workshop: Use your snippets #44.
Challenges 4 Everybody: Anything goes.
Make it Monday Party:  Ladies that  craft.
Anything Goes: Anything goes.
LEJ Designs: Anything goes. 
Shopping Our Stash: Flowers in 3D.
Twisted Tuesdays: Free for all with no twist.
Fab 'n' Funky: Die cuts or punches.
My Mums Craft Shop: Bold and Bright
That Craft Place: Tic,tac.toe. (dies,border,buttons).
Love to Create: Lots of Layers.

38 comments:

Debbie said...

Mrs A. This gorgeous book has brought a tear to my eyes, how totally superb, and a delightful pressy for Mum and Dad.
The photo's look lovely and the papers and flowers are so nice too.
Debbiex

Faye said...

I would have liked to have seen this beautiful book in real life. You can see the love that has gone into it so I am very pleased to hear it is appreciated. Be proud of this project. xxx

Unknown said...

What a beautiful album and such a wonderful keepsake.

Doreen said...

This is just gorgeous,love all the fab details.xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow,what an amazing family keepsake Mrs A, no wonder your parents loved it. I'm sure they will treasure it always. Family hertiage gets forgotten sadly but with your book, it can be looked at and remembered.

Big hugs xxx

Ali said...

This is so beautiful. Your parents must be so pleased with it. You've put a lot of time and love into it. The decoration is amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Ali x

Di said...

Hi Mrs A

Totally fabulous - such a lot of work and love with a wonderful result. Love the roses, very tactile along with the lace etc. A real masterpiece!

Meant to say - with 5th November coming - NO bonfire underneath the tree house please. Only sayin' :)

Hugs, Di xx

Margreet said...

Breathtaking beautiful, Mrs. A!!
xxx Margreet

the linen cloud said...

What a beautiful thoughtful gift ... I am sure your parents were delighted ... hope you are all well and that you enjoyed the birthday celebrations ... Bee xx

Catherine said...

Your memory album is stunning Valery Ann ! Your parents must have been over the moon ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

Rene said...

What a wonderful way to show off your parents! Fabulous! Thank you for joining us at MIM this week! Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Good luck!
Rene :D

Cat Craig said...

Gorgeous flowers!

Sandra H said...

Wow Mrs A they are stunning l can see why you was working so late the end result are amazing and so pleased you have shared them they are wonderful xx

Sue said...

I'm so pleased that shared this book with us, it is stunning. I can see how much work was involved but definitely well worth it. I'm sure it will be treasured.

Thank you for taking part in the Fab n funky Challenge this week
Sue

Grenouille Greetings said...

I'm so glad I backtracked and caught up with this creation, Mrs A. It was clearly a huge labour of love and it is soooooooooo beautifully done from the front cover with all of those lovely flowers all the way through. Love your buttons and lace and sewing and other pretty embellishments. GGG with gun and dog looks a bit fierce for an innkeeper but perhaps the locals were rough and ready yokels who liked to drink after hours or something. I particularly like your pretty lilac flower with your Grandmother. A superb creation. Thank you so much for sharing it! Hugs, Lesley

Hettie said...

This is a gorgeous book Mrs A. It is easy to see the amount of work you have put into this. I am glad your M&D liked it or I am scared of where you may have put it! LOL!
xx

CuddlyBunny said...

My god, this is amazing. Thoughtful and special, wonderful and timeless.

You are an exceptional artist and a loving person: I adore the way you matched photos to bits ... every page as unique as the history they reveal!

Vee Cassidy said...

A wonderful project interesting having both their birthdays on the same day! Thank you for sharing with us at LEJ Designs; good luck. Vee xx

emma mitchell said...

This is fabulous and beautiful .
Thanks for sharing it with us at anything goes challenge.
Hugs Emma xx

Shirley said...

What a beautiful gift! Thank you for joining us this week at Fab'n'Funky!

Sherry said...

It's beautiful Mrs A! You're so lucky having all those lovely old photos and knowing who all the family members are - a fantastic keepsake to hand down too - glad your Mum and Dad loved it xxx

jimlynn said...

What a treasure this is!! So gorgeous and will the fabulous details. Love the different colored flowers too. LOVELY!
Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash.
Lynn

Wendy said...

Absolutely beautiful, a wonderful keepsake.
Thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky this week.
Wendy xx

Donna said...

Wow Mrs A, this is such a beatiful gift and one that your Mum & Dad will cherish forever. It has definitely been made with a lot of love and TLC...you totally rock :) Donna ♥ x

Sarn said...

Definitely a labour of love and a fantastic family keepsake.

Wonderful.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

PS: Put that banger back AND the rocket . . . AND the firecracker . .. Miss Di will have your guts for garters. xxxx

Bonnie said...

Wow, this is fantastic! What a labor of love for your parents!

scrappymo! said...

This is a real knock out.
Fabulous!!!

Ciska said...

What a great idea, I bet your parents were thrilled! Thank you for linking up with us @ Fab 'n Funky :)

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Gorgeous! Lovely layouts!

Thank you for participating int he Twisted Tuesday Challenge this week!

Crafty and Green said...

This is Beautiful! Thank you so much for playing with us this week at Love to Create Challenge for our Lots of Layers Challenge! Can't wait to see what you'll create next week!

Many Blessings,
Tina

Jackie Randolph said...

This is Gorgeous and a true treasure!! Thanks for joining us this week at Love to Create Challenge.
"hugs"
Jacki - LTC

Merry said...

What an amazing project....I bet it was loved...so much hard work. How amazing that your parents are born on the same day. Always thought that my brother and his wife being a week apart was pretty cool.

Patty Gorka said...

These are all so beautiful, I especially love the flowers on your first one! Thanks for playing along this week at Twisted Tuesday Challenges!

Gaynor Greaves said...

Wow this is so beautiful, love the gorgeous details, thanks for joining our challenge at My mum's craft shop, Gaynor x

Sylvia Anderson said...

Fantastic, thank you for joining LEJ Designs challenge x

Whimcees said...

Hello!

A most beautiful project - I know that it meant a lot to your mom and dad. I have a photo of my grandfather taken in Denmark where he is standing in almost that exact pose with his hunting gun! :<) I hope that all is well with you and wish you a good evening!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Sandy said...

What a fantastic project and so lovely to have all those old photos in one spot.. Love all your perfect little touches.. Thanks for joining us at Challenges 4 Everybody. Good luck! Sandy :)

Kezzy said...

Beautiful gorgeous creation. Thank you for joining us at That Craft Place Challenge Blog. Happy Crafting :-) Kerry xxx