Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Altoids Alteration.

I have just taken part in a swap to alter an Altoids mints tin and to fill with Autumn fall coloured buttons.
Having found out that though Altoids is a British product it is exported mainly to America I went on line and found a shop selling them on Amazon. Managed to get one of the remaining two that they had in stock. Phew!!
The tin needed a base coat first so I coated the outside using "Jo Sonja's " velvet matte finish paint in Unbleached Titanium. I had already started to paint when I realised I should have taken a picture of the unaltered tin first. Remembered just in time!
Next up find the buttons to go inside. This is where I lost 2 days choosing and making my selection! I even made some shrink plastic ones . I love using this product as it is so versitile.
The swap said a minimum of 40 buttons but I managed to cram in a whopping 66. Hows that for value.
The inside of the tin lid and base I covered in cream satin material and a shrink plastic butterfly
(my theme for this year). I used cream lace to go round the tin lid and base of outside of tin. With
opening and shutting of the lid I found that the paint was begining to wear off around the rim of the tin so I combated that by using some' Inka Gold' metal gloss paint rubbing in well to a nice high sheen.
I really went to town on the lid as my partner said she was a girly girl. Using autumn colours I made some flowers and stamped leaves (using Forest Moss ink) from white cardstock. I coloured using distress ink in Wild Honey and Firebrick Red. Just inked my craft sheet with each colour, spritzed with water and then dropped each petal and leaf onto it and moved around to get the colour effect I wanted. Scrunched the petals up and allowed to dry then glued together. Some more shrink plastic butterflies, scrap of lace, ribbon and an acorn pinched from The Boys stash of nuts and the tin was complete.
I just about managed to shut the lid of the tin without resorting to sitting on it!!
Would like to enter into the following challenges.
Crafty Ribbons: Ribbon & Lace.
By the cute & Girly: Anything Goes.
Stamps R Us: Natures Gifts.

28 comments:

Carol Critchley said...

What an achievement. The tin looks beautiful. The lid is stunning and where on earth did you manage to get all those buttons from what a lovely collection.

Debbie said...

Fabulous Mrs A.
I just love the alter tin, super idea and the hord of buttons are just gorgeous. Debbiexx

Liz McGuire, said...

Sounds like a cure for haemorrhoids! But no, turns out they're peppermints. Love what you did with it, and those buttons are really cool,

Liz x

Sunshine Girl said...

What fun! lovely tin your recipient will love it - love the acorn on the top. I too like playing with shrink plastic although I usually end up having a piece fly up in the air and land on me and burn me! (even with the trusty old bent paperclip used to anchor it down!)

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Your altered tin is so pretty Mrs A, and all those lovely buttons too!!
(I found my Altoids mint tin in a pound shop of all places!!)
Jan x

Ali said...

Oh I love it xx

Doreen said...

Wow the tin looks fabulous,love it.xxx

Whitney-Anne Baker said...

ohmygod so many crafty things I know nothing about! I had heard of altered tins but had no idea how. Might have to pick your brains about this at some point

Aunty Sue said...

oh wow this is brilliant and such a fab autumn tin. Thanks for joining us at CRAFT this week

pinky said...

Beautiful makeover! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons.
Pinky

Unknown said...

wow Mrs A this is just so pretty xx

carol said...

ooh my fab creation, thanks for playing along with CRAFT this week, x carol

Jo in TAS said...

Fabulously altered tin. I posted mine last week and recieved mine the next day, about to write a post!

CuddlyBunny said...

Wow! Fantastic! I love your flowers!

Jo said...

I did an altoids tin swap a few years ago, I bought my mints from a supermarket, and if I remember correctly, I think it was Morrisons.
LOVE how you've altered this tin, it's so pretty, and perfect for this time of year.
Your swap partner is going to be very happy!
Thank you for joining in with us at Stamps R Us too,
Jo xx

Di said...

I love this!! Really has an Autumn feel to it and shows you took a lot of time and trouble making it! Looking for the Monkeys Wednesday post - excuse me while I go and ferret round to see if you posted their antics! Di xxr

Tammy said...

WOW your altered tin is awesome!! I love the flowers and all of your textures! Thanks for playing along with us at Stamps R Us!
Tammy :)

Catherine said...

What a fantastic creation ! You are so talented, you never cease to amaze me ! Hugs and love from Catherine

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

What a lovely change to that humble tin. Thank you so much for your visit and your lovely comments. In fact the robin card is a card in itself. it starts off as a flat card, with the top part of the robin then cut with a blade to the halfway point. Then the rest of the card is folded in half, leaving the robin sticking up. Hope that makes sense.

Angie said...

What a lot of work you put into that tin ...and all those buttons....that is a beautiful piece of work.

shazsilverwolf said...

Gorgeous tin- thanks for your visit, I'm a little late this week, (again). The Tim stamps were a HUGE bargain, £4.95, free p7p from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cutters-Crafts- only took a couple of days to arrive too. She seems to have all the stamps, all the same price. Have a great week, Shaz

Shoshi said...

That's soooo pretty! Well done you. Humble little tin turned into a work of art! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Having all the family occasions in the firt half of the year does make for quite a lot of work, but then you can relax for the rest of the year (until the dreaded "C" raises its ugly head lol lol!) This year was particularly busy as everyone had special things - our silver wedding, my mum's 90th, our nephew's wedding, my home help's 50th, her mum's 70th... I've never been so productive!!! Hoping for a bit of a holiday next year so I can concentrate on my own stuff!

Sherry said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous tin! Love how you decorated the lid and all those lovely buttons too!

Faye said...

Now that is a gorgeous tin and a lovely button selection too. Very nicely done. xxx

Tammy (LaDiva) said...

Cute project!!!!! Thanks so much for playing with us at By The Cute & Girly. Have fun with our 2nd anniversary blog hop and good luck!

Hugzzz
Tammy xx

If you haven’t seen it yet, I have some candy up for grabs at Creations LaDiva :)!

Laurie said...

66 buttons! You went over and above! What a great swap!

Geraldine said...

Oh!!! That is brillant. I asked a friend who went to Florida to bring me back some of these Altoid tins.... loving all the possibilites!!
Adore your project.
Thank you for entering the BTC&G 2nd Anniversary blog Hop and Good Luck!
Geraldine

Ann said...

Beautiful tin and I love those butterfly buttons!