Monday, July 03, 2017

Sea Glass Box

Picture heavy post!

A friend on facebook recently said that she collected sea glass but only had a few pieces. I asked her if she would like some more as I have it in abundance. It was quickly arranged that as she lived quite close by we would meet up at the services on the local motorway. Now I needed a box to put it in and having found out that Ailsa loves the colour Purple I set to making one to transport the sea glass in.
Here is the finished box.

 The box has a hidden magnetic closure on the flap so it just closes with a click.

 Sea glass safely packed.

Ailsa was pleased with her new collection.


I'm pleased too as I have recently been back to the cove I collect it from and my stocks are now replenished.!! There was plenty of brown this time and blue and I even found a piece of red glass which is very rare indeed. You can just see it sitting on top of the large white chunk at the top of the bowl. This was all collected over the course of 4 afternoons trawling along the beach. Very good exercise!!
Before I go here are a few pictures showing how I make my boxes.


Thick cardboard cut to size and then each section covered with the chosen fabric. Then the pieces are laid out in the order they need to be stitched together.

 I use invisible thread to sew with. You can see all the threads in the picture below/
 This is the base now all sewn together.
 Edging braid then added for neatness.
 Lastly the sculptured lid is made. You can see all the pins holding the material taught prior to sewing .

I have just realised from the date I took these photos that we had some pretty good weather the beginning of April as I sat in the garden making this over several days.

If anyone would like some Sea Glass then  just email me at the address on my side bar.


Entering into the following challenge:
Pixies Crafty Workshop # 287/288. Use your snippets.(cardboard and the glass is snippets!)


28 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow, Valery this is gorgeous. A lovely way to store all that lovely sea glass.

Sue xx

Aquarius said...

What a lovely fabric box, so much nicer than just some bits of glass in a bag. I'm not surprised it was very well received and I'm sure you enjoy collecting the glass to see just what colours you can find.

Craftychris said...

What a gorgeous box you made to present the beautiful sea glass! It must have been so gratefully received. I had not heard of sea glass before - it's cool! Hugs xxx

aussie aNNie said...

This is very clever and gorgeous box, love it.xx [aNNie]

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous box Valery, and just perfect for the seaglass.
I have a few bit of beautiful seaglass jewllery, made by a lovely lady from Stornoway, she makes the most wonderful designs with it and silver, I love it, Kate x

Mac Mable said...

How generous and kind. Just a beautiful and thoughtful thing to do on so many levels. Unique and creative box full of sea glass....Absolutely beautiful x

Liz said...

What a fabulous project, Mrs A, such a brilliant idea. xx

Lynne Vowles said...

Wonderful idea

KandA said...

What a gorgeous box and so much sewing to do to put it all together xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A what a lovely idea to pass on the sea glass and the box you have made for it is gorgeous. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Mia said...

How lovely box, Mrs A. I love this idea. Thank you for the instructions.

Jane said...

How kind to give the glass and what a beautiful box you made for it. A wonderful gesture. I love using sea glass in my jewellery making and one of my fave pieces I made had glass from the beach at Rhodes we go to every year. Summer seems to have returned this week..have fun xx

Kathleen said...

An absolutely superb and fabulous make.

Kath x

MRS DUCK said...

Hi Mrs A
Beautiful box and who would have thought it was sewn....... brilliant.
Lovely looking sea glass too.
Best wishes.
Ang x

Kathleen said...

Hi, sorry forgot to say loved your comment regarding no hanger on the kitchen door because you don't use it.

Kath x

Loose Stitches said...

Oh how beautiful, clever idea! Beautiful sea glass too!
Hugs, Sherry x
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

Darnell said...

I used to collect sea glass with our son, too, on all our vacations. It made for so many happy memories! You have an awesome collection and it's lovely of you to share pieces, Anne. I can imagine that Ailsa was delighted with the glass alone, but to receive this pretty handmade box, too, must have thrilled her just as much!! Hugs, Darnell

Megan J said...

Hi Mrs A, a gorgeous box, love the mermaid fabric and the purple edging ribbon... Ailsa is very luck to have a friend to make her such a lovely present. A friend of mine uses sea glass to make fancy mosaic tiles... have a wonderful week... Megan

Cobnut Crafter said...

What a beautiful project! My sewing skills are non-existent which makes me appreciate your lovely box even more - and the addition of the pretty sea glass is perfect. xAnne

Suze said...

What a gorgeous box. Love the fabric you've used - and thanks for the step by step. It's great to see how you made it. I've added a pic to my blog of the purchase I made with the certificate from the candy on your blog. Had to wait a while for it to arrive as one wasn't available - but now looking forward to creating with them.

Sandra H said...

Oooh wow Mrs A this is gorgeous x

Cara said...

Wow, what a stunning box, just gorgeous. I think I need a walk on the beach now !

Diane said...

What a gorgeous box design Valery, wow I am sure your friend just loved it.

Hugs Diane

Donna Ellis said...

Fantastic project, ValeryAnne! I love those colors and the beautiful goodies! hugs, de

Loll said...

What a lovely gift for your friend. Not only did she receive the beautiful sea glass, but the box itself is an amazing gift. Beautiful, Anne!! xx

Di said...

How fabulous! I can vouch for how lovely your handmade and stitched boxes are - I have one right in front of me on my desk! What gorgeous sea glass as well, I have a few pieces that you gave me a while ago and they're so tactile!

AND, at last, the girls bracelets are made and they LOVE them! I took the beads and elastic with me last weekend as I had no idea of the right size. Mia, independent, made her own and Kai did Livi's with Livi directing operations. Thank you again - you made two little girls very happy!

Hugs

Di xx

Zue said...

Your box is perfect for the job.

I love sea glass too.

The beaches I go to don't give up very large pieces, I think I need to go to the USA to get some bigger chunks.

How is the garden doing?
Couldn't we just do with some rain???
Sue xx

Grudniowe Handmade said...

Wonderful box! :)