Monday, August 20, 2012

Patrick.


Don't you find that mothers always have the last word? Mine certainly does.
Mum has recently because of ill health had to go into a nursing home. The first home we found for her was not to her liking as they had a bunny in a cage for the other residents to enjoy watching. Not so Mother as she doesn't hold with animals being in cages so refused to be in the same room as him and let everyone know why. A space came up in another home so we moved her into the second one. They have a cat but as he roams freely around the rooms and garden he was grudingly allowed to be  present. All well and good until a few weeks back when the home decided to get a budgie!  Mum was not slow to voice her displeasure at the new arrival but the home prevailed and in due course the budgie and cage were installed in the dinning room. The residents were all asked to choose a name and put it in the hat for a name to be picked out.  This was done and Timmy was the name chosen.
On next visiting Sis asked by way of interest what name Mum had put in the hat only to be told her slip of paper had been omitted from the selection. Sis thought this to be a bit odd so asked her what name she had written down. Back came the reply The Prisoner!!!
Now if only Mum had put down Patrick she might just have gotten away with it!.
This brings me nicely to the card I have made below using a freebie backing paper, snippets of lace and ribbon and the bird/cage are gifts from my lovely blogging friend Nicola of Sunshine Reflections. When Nicola found out I couldn't get my hands on certain Tim Holtz dies she popped  a few die cuts in the post to me.  Hugs NicolaXXXXXXX.



I used my new distressed marker pens to colour the bird and cage and then gave the cage a coating of glossy accents. Sentiment was computer generated and cut with a nestie die.
Playing over at Pixes Crafty Workshop as I have used up some of my snippets stash.


20 comments:

Doreen said...

This is gorgeous,love the image..pretty papers.xxx

Lynn said...

A beautiful card - hope your mum feels more settled soon :-) Lynn x

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

aw so cute indeed Mrs A. ... and had a huge chuckle over your mother and her protective nature for animals - certainly has plenty of personality, sent you my addy too for sea glass thanks for your offer very kind! Shaz in oz.x

Catherine said...

I totally understand your Mum... And I do love your card ! Great paper and the die cuts are really sweet ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

Sandra H said...

Oh what a great mum you have....lol beautiful card too Mrs A the backing papers are gorgeousw and l really like your cage and Sentiment so beautifully presented too! x

Margreet said...

Gorgeous card especially with the story about your mum!!
xxx Margreet

Donna said...

Pretty card Mrs A, love the floral papers and the little cage die cut. I love that your Mum wanted to call the budgie The Prisoner, that's a keeper :) Donna ♥ x

Grenouille Greetings said...

A super tweet card, Mrs. A! No. 6 looks perfectly happy in his cage! Hugs, Lesley

Di said...

Oh Mrs A, your Mum sounds quite formidible - good for her to stick to her principles :)

Love your card, just perfect for the tale and am sure I've got the same BPs - Kate Knightly or summick, came with a magazine? So pretty too.

Hugs, Di xx

Zue said...

What a fabulous story. Bravo to your mum...I totally agree with her.
Wishing her well:)
xxx

Ann said...

Well I have to kind of agree with your Mum about cages. ;o) But Patrick is a prettier?? name LOL! Sweet card - I think the blackbird is about to escape too!

Faye said...

Pretty tweet, I must say! xxx

Twiglet said...

So good to hear your Mum still has plenty of "personality" and I hope she soon settles. I hate caged animals too so I can heartily agree with her. Glad you liked my dragon fly pic. I really loved making it so might have a go at a few more - maybe a slightly simpler background. x Jo

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Super cute!!! Love your card!

Hettie said...

Your Mum sounds like a scream-a-minute! Soo funny!!
I guess we are not having any caged animals in the treehouse!
Gorgeous card there Mrs A. Lovely papers and I take it you have named the birdie The Prisoner!!
Is Elf and Safety going to let us have a fire in the Playground let alone blankets?? Looking forward to toasting marshmallows on the fire!!
xxx

Bonnie said...

Oh, heavens, don't let your Mom see that bird in the cage! Although it looks like he's getting out. My Dad is in a home and he's not afraid to express his disagreement with things. I think it's pretty normal and, I don't know about you, but I'm glad he can still express himself so eloquently! Unless it's me he's displeased with. Your card is adorable. The bird looks lovely against all those pretty flowers.

Darnell said...

Your "Patrick" looks happy in his cage in his beautifully wallpapered room. (Your Mum sounds like she can be both a stinker and a hoot - not a bad combination!)

Thanks for coming by to visit me! See you on the playground!

Sunshine Girl said...

Have only just seen this as have been away for a few days - glad you liked the diecuts! Lovely story about your Mum - arent they just the best when they say it as it is.

Sherry said...

LOL at your Mum, at least she says what she thinks, got to admire her for that.

Love your card, the backing paper is fab and really sets the cage off x

Sarn said...

Lovely card! You mum sounds like a right card too! xxxx