Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Lemon Sentiment.

There is a new challenge on the Butterfly blog.
#90 Butterflies + H is for Handwritten and/or the colour Lemon.  So a handwritten sentiment is the requirement this time. No sticker, no stamp, no die cut  just the words hand written by yourself.

Here is my  inspiration for you.


I decided to make a Dutch fold card. I have made these in the past but could I find the instructions I use? Nope. Never mind I knew a site that would have the instructions. I should have stopped right there and then. Do you ever start a card and then everything goes wrong but you keep on going because to start afresh isn't an option either with the supplies your using or timewise? Yes? So you will feel my pain!!

Looking at the instructions for cutting the two pieces of card required  had me thinking these measurements  are wrong surely( but you keep going because that's what they say.) Sure enough having cut the card they are wrong even after having gone back and checked I haven't made a mistake. Nada.
Ok time for a rain check and go look on You Tube. The first one I came across was by Dawn Griffith from Dawn's Stamping Thoughts (20th Oct  2016) for making a Dutch Fold Christmas Card. Now not only is it cut from one piece of card but the fold is turned sideways. I like this idea so off I go.
Out with a fresh piece of card and cut the card to the correct size. No problem. Then I did a silly thing and cut the wrong pieces off the card to discard. (I was trying to watch the video and do it at the same time. (should know better.) Not wasting more card so I turned the card upside down and refolded which then left me with a crease I didn't want,so my bright idea was to use the design paper to cover the crease. Worked fine but then I need to cover the back of the card to hide the crease as well and I only have the one sheet of the paper I'm using. A lot of cutting and pasting later and the card was finally done.

Here is the card folded up and as you can see a side ways version.

Here is my hand written sentiment. Done in Blood/Gold pen, sweat and tears.

Design papers, gold stickers, ribbon , lace  and gold edging from my stash. I do like the way that the card is cut  in one piece and now that I have cut a paper template showing me which bits not to cut off I will use again. Hope you will have the time to join in the new challenge.



28 comments:

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Oops, typed a couple of words in my first comment, then hit 'Publish' by mistake! Well, it was worth all the blood, sweat and tears, because your card is fabulous. i love the colours, so classy and stylish and what a great idea to tip the card on its side. I saw another Dutch Fold card on a blog this week and was going to give this fold a try as I've never done one before. After your experience, I think I'd better have trial run with a sheet of scrap paper! xx

Aquarius said...

The end result is a lovely card but I thought 'been there, done that' as I read your explanation of the problems. I've not tried this style myself but might do so but with caution having read what you wrote!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card, well worth the effort. Love the gold butterflies :)
Hugs Kaz xx

Margreet said...

Oops, this card has many blood, sweat and tears, but the result is gorgeous. Love the Dutch fold card (maybe because it's Dutch??). Must give it a try!
xxx Margreet

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

very beautiful card :) worth the effort
hugs
preeti

Christine Harrop said...

This is a new fold to me Mrs A but it's great. You certainly never gave up!!!!! Kudos to you - and very well worth the hard work. Christine xx

Janis said...

Oh, my goodness.....I looked at the top photo and thought to myself, "I have had cards end up looking like that, except it WAS NOT on purpose!!!" LOL... No, seriously, this is a lovely card. I adore the gold with the lemon and those butterflies are truly stunning. Well done on the handwritten sentiment, too!

Thank you for sharing your misadventures. It was ever so much fun reading about them. (You had me laughing the entire time!!) Your finished product is so beautiful that we never would have had a clue at how beastly the experience was, otherwise!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

Mac Mable said...

Had a chuckle reading your post....Yes I do the same and persevere and will not give in. Often, it would have been quicker (and easier) to start again but oh no x Absolutely love your folded card, so pretty and the handwritten sentiment makes it so personal. Glad you kept going x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Beautiful card Valery, I love the colour.

Sue xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A this is a stunning card I love the design it is all just so pretty. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. Love the golden color and the border of the butterflies:)

Viv said...

So pretty Mrs A!

Anne said...

Another nice fold, and one I haven't seen before. What a lovely card, it was worth the trials and tribulations!
Anne x

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card Mrs A, well worth the perseverance, its an interesting fold - haven't tried that one before.
Avril xx

Sue said...

Well worth you hanging in there Mrs A it's gorgeous! huggles Sue xx

Sylvia said...

Beautiful folded card,Ms A.Love the butterflies.I see this for the first time.

Gr,Sylvia x

Mia said...

What a beautiful card, Valery.
Please visit my blog. I inform you that you are the big winner of my birthday candy. Kisses, my friend.

Mia said...

And something else: Please email me to craftartista@gmail.com your address and I will post your parcel asap. Hugs, my dear friend.

AlisonC said...

Poor you, lie down with a cold flannel or maybe sit up with a G&T. Your card turned out well in spite of everything, the lemon and gold are lovely. I hope you can find your template next time you want it, not that I'd ever lose anything like that. Ahem.
x

MaryH said...

I was so with you as I read this post! But in the end, after all the creative suffering, you turned out a beautiful & wonderfully done card. This looks like a most complex fold, and I love the lace trims too. Great handwriting. TFS & Hugs

terrie said...

The technique of this fold turned out fantastic and your color of lemon just so soft..
With everything you did to correct the card the card is worth looking at...
Well done and tfs

Kathleen said...

Super style of card and love all the gold and really lovely papers.
When are the elves arriving? Can't wait.

Kath x

Donna said...

What a fabulous fold and stunning card! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

This is a fabulous folding! Great card, love the gold accents! I have never tried a Dutch fold card, thanks for the inspiration!

Cara said...

I hope you had a large glass of something after all that stress! Your card turned out beautifully, I don't think I've seen that fold before x

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Valery, what a wonderful card fold and your images are so pretty,beautifully embellished too, Kate x

Valerija said...

Fabulous! The design and colours are gorgeous!
Valerija xx