Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Christmas Ornaments Shaker Style

The internet continues to be fickle here and now my ipad will only work upstairs on the 3G network.! I did go into the 3 shop and they popped my post code into their computer clattered away, stared intently at the screen for what seemed like several minutes, sighed and looked up and then pronounced yes the network was being upgraded in my area but they have finished it now. Anything to get me out of the shop and back to whatever he was doing before I interrupted.  I have a green light here with the internet at the moment so hopefully can get this posted.
I really thought the christmas card club theme was for this Sunday coming so I'm chasing my tail somewhat as these should have been made and posted  last sunday. Sorry girls. Blame it on the Internet as it really mucks my timings up as to what day it it.

Anyway I have been doing some more little water colour scenes +using small stamps for the detailing and have made them into Shaker style christmas ornaments. I have made six  but these are just the
first 3. It was Lorraine's turn to pick the theme and Shimmer and Shine was chosen so hope the glitter glue around the edges and on the scenery will count.
This one uses a Circadesign stamp called 'Forest 'purchased at the NEC on my recent trip.  I have painted the background using Distress ink pads daubed onto an acetate block and picked up with a paint brush onto water colour card stock. The trees were stamped over with versamark and heat set using black embossing powder so that they wouldn't bleed when painting them and the background around. Clear acetate used to cover the front and large micro beads for the shaker element. 

I have to say this one is my favourite as I love the way the pale pink and mauve sky turned out. I stamped using blue distress ink and then clear embossing powder over the top to heat set beofre colouring in the snowy background and sky. This little stamp is by Inkylicious called 'Winter Cabin'.
Iv'e used small blue beads crystal beads for the shaker element and little silver sticker for the stars.
Here I've used two different stamp sets. 'Santa Sleigh' from Inkylicious which comes both left and right facing in the same packet. The house and trees are from Hobby Art from their ' Winter Scene-its set'. (Iv'e not used all the elements yet.) Stamped with Memento ink and then heat set using clear embossing powder before painting in the background . The Sentiment came with the sleigh set. I have used small micro beads for the shaker element this time.

Q. Now can you guess what I used to make the ornaments with? Here is a piccy of them taken sideways.

A. Good old empty DS tape spool rings  (now you do keep all yours don't you!!!!) and covered inside and out with various Washi tapes. (I shall be keeping the tiny empty rings from these as well).

Now as I have used snippets  I'm off to the playground and decorate a few of the trees by the swings. Might just have to call into the potting shed on my way back too so long as Parsnip is not on patrol!!

Pixie's Crafty Workshop #307/308  Use up your snippets. (empty D.S. tape rings. )



36 comments:

Barb said...

Mrs A you really are the Queen of recycling! oh and acetate too! Your ornaments are all absolutely stunning. Barbxx

Di said...

Absolutely fabulous Mrs A! I adore these ornaments, you clever sausage. Such imagination - and i agree that the Winter Cabin scene has a slight edge. One of my fave stamps as well.

Regarding the mischief in the Playground you seem to be plotting - Parsnip IS otherwise occupied at the moment. He's still taking care of Bashful after his long trip!

Hugs

Di xx

Sandra H said...

Oooh my goodness me Mrs A these are so beautiful l hope your going to put them on your tree!!! l like them all and the scenes are stunning you have so much talent take care x

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, these are absolutely gorgeous, each one is amazing in there own way, I could not possibly pick a favorite!!!

Mrs A. said...

Ok. See you in five then. I'll bring the wine you bring the glasses.

Jackie T said...

Hi Mrs A they are stunning I love the stamps. I never would have guesses what they were made from - great recycling. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Christine Harrop said...

I have been called the "Queen of Quotes" and I think of you as the "Queen of Recycling". I love to see what you come up with each time ValeryAnn and I am never disappointed. These are terrific. A few years ago I made some Christmas tree ornaments using diecuts and ribbon reels. I got loads from our local haberdasher who just used to throw them out. I love the shaker ornaments. Hugs Christine xx

dutchess said...

Fabulous idea Valery...ingenious use and recycling...you have made such beautiful ornaments....now you have me looking at everything and thinking what can I do with that! Xxxx


Julia said...

I really love those Christmas ornament style cards - well done:0)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous ornaments Mrs A, those stamps are stunning :)
Hugs Kaz xx

cuilliesocks said...

Wow! Valery these are absolutely stunning, beautifully designed and coloured, I love the shaker design, well worth waiting for, Kate x,

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a stunning set of ornaments Mrs A, so ingeniously recycled too from reels that would other wise have been binned. I love them and they are perfect for my challenge theme this time, plenty of shimmer and sparkle.
Lorraine

coldwaters2 said...

WOW Mrs A these are fantastic and so beautiful love the fact that they are shaker ornaments also the lovely colours, outstanding work
hugs
lorraine x

Kathleen said...

These are really lovely, some great scenes and like the idea that you used the old reels.

Kath x

Mac Mable said...

So clever to re-use those spools x Such cute scenes you've created and the prettiest of ornaments x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Oh wow!!! You are a genius!! Such great recycling and amazing shaker ornaments you made!! I would try this! All the ornaments are really wonderful and those glittered borders make them so precious!

scrappymo! said...

These are fabulous! I love your idea of recycling the ribbon spools too...

I think each and every scene io so pretty and yes indeed, they are shimmery enough in my humble opinion. My fave is the same as you...the pretty pink and mauve sky with the pretty log cabin scene.

I am tossing around an idea for shaker ornaments too. I am currently in the midst of glamourizing my thrift potted fake poinsettias into glittery, shimmery individua blossoms to add tot he Christmas tree. Layers of glitter and glue are affecting the transformation!
Soon as I finish those, I have some plastic circle containers that electricians tape comes in. that hopefully will be the base of my shaker ornaments.Hopefully yours will inspire me to get them finished for Xmas 2017. I will remember your washi tape idea for the edges!

Jane said...

Wow these are so pretty..perfect little festive scenes inside each one. I love them! Hope you are keeping well? xx

Craftychris said...

Ooh I love these shaker ornaments! Gorgeous scenes inside each one and love the glitter glue sparkle on the outsides too! Fabulous recycling - I will be keeping my empty spools now too! Hugs xxxxxxx

Cara said...

Wow, what amazing pieces of upcycling! These are stunning x

Brenda in IN said...

Your creativity just blows me away. How clever to reuse empty ribbon spools. And what gorgeous ornaments you made with them. The scenes are lovely and I can't pick a favorite. They are all awesome.

Viv said...

You clever so and so! What a great use for the spools. Fab scenes - like them all lots!

Mia said...

Great shaker ornaments, Valery. They are really great. I love the scenes. Kisses, my friend.

aussie aNNie said...

Oh I am so behind in commenting here, but wow, you are clever using these spools for shakers. Brilliant idea and they are just stunning...hugs to you.xxHave a lovely weekend.♥
[aNNie]

terrie said...

These ornaments are just beautiful...you did an awesome job on them...well done
I just threw one of those spool away.....I need to check my trash bin in the craft room if it is still there.....thanks for sharing this idea...

samanthadesigns said...

These are gorgeous! I love the idea of this.

Karenladd said...

Oh my gosh...I'm already a hoarder and now I'll start keeping ribbon spools too!! These shaker ornaments are just exquisite and so beautifully done. The painted scenes have a real vintage feel with the soft colors and sweet snowy landscapes. These are real treasures!

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

wow! these are simply stunning
hugs
preeti

AlisonC said...

These are so pretty, especially the blue one and you never let us down with your recycling. I thought I heard shrieks and giggling from the potting shed direction. x

Greta said...

My jaw hit the floor, Mrs. A--fabulous projects! They're all gorgeous, but the gold one is just super special to me!

Darnell said...

I'm with Greta, Anne! Your miniature paintings are pure delight! You must have nerves of steel to manage such tiny beautiful scenes so impeccably!! And turning them into shakers made from empty tape spools is pure genius!! I venture you'll be A Featured Snippeteer next week!! Hugs, Darnell

Diane said...


These are certainly gorgeous Valery, the scallop die cuts, glitter and darling little scenes are perfect.

Hugs diane

Createology said...

Beautiful upcycle of your empty tape rolls. I believe ribbon also comes on spools that would work for these lovely shaker card ornaments. Of course I threw out about 2 dozen of these spools when downsizing! <3

Mrs.B said...

Hi Mrs. A, Just catching up after a few days away and I love your little ornaments, each scene is beautiful and the colouring is lovely. A great piece of recycling and of course I'll keep mine in future.
Avril xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Some gorgeous and very clever creations Mars A. How clever are you?
Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}


quicky said...

I love'em all. Especially the 2nd one. These are great christmas tree ornamentsdesigns. Good collection. +1